Does the TTY adapter work with any 2.5mm headset?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mcdj, Aug 30, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I just won a pair of Sennheiser MM50s (CX300s for phones!), with a mic/button and a 2.5mm jack.

Anyone know if the Apple TTY adapter will work as a normal jack adapter for a non-TTY headset?

I should have asked around before buying the Senns, but they were $10 on Eboy, so I can't complain much even if the adapter doesn't work.

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Ah, just found the answer on the trusty interweb...

"Alan Ross

Just received my official Apple TTY adapter. As I suspected, this is simply an adapter to allow more "standard" 2.5mm headsets/devices with the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone.I was able to use my "standard" over the head cell phone headset with the adapter and it works great. I can also listen to my iPod now on my wired headset. So, if you have an existing 2.5mm wired cell phone headset that you can't live without, the Apple TTY adapter will allow you to use it with the iPhone."

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I hope this works for you. I tried it with 2 pairs of headsets but no success.

4. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Which headsets did you try?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm the one who made the post someone found on the internet, and the tty adapter worked for me. The adapter plugged into the iPhone, and the 2.5mm headset plugged into the adapter. Headset worked fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work for any 2.5mm headset that works on other cell phone.

Only problems were:

No button on the 2.5mm headset...
    Adapter sticks out of the top of the iPhone, making it awkward to use.
    Weak construction on the adapter itself
    Expensive adapter

I used this for a couple of weeks, and then the connector broke when my iPhone was in my pocket. Because it sticks out of the top of the iPhone, it acts like a lever when the headset is attached. As long as you are careful with it, it should work fine. I bent over with my phone in my pocket and my headset attached. The extra length of the adapter was enough to break off when I bent over...

Since it was broken, I did a little disection, and verified that this is simply a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter...

I came very close to purchasing another one, and decided to give the existing earbuds a try. I got used to them, and found that they worked pretty well - as long as you can get used to the "in your ear" ear bud feeling.

I ended up getting the bluetooth headset for use in my car. It works very well and for me holds a charge for quite a while. It's kind of pricy, but it works well and is very small. Some people have complained about the interference you can get, but I find that happens mostly when the headset is getting low on power. In the car, it seems to work great - I just put my phone in the cup holder and talk away...

FYI, I also tried some of the "headphone" adapters for listening to music. The Belkin adapter is TERRIBLE. It sticks out over 2" from the top of your phone, and with the heaphones plugged in it is even worse. If you want this type of adapter, I found lots of the original iPod Shuffle headphone adapters on ebay for about $10. They have a 3" iPod headset thin cable going to a female jack for your headphones.

I got the Shure microphone adapter which adds a button and microphone, and it worked OK, but it was weird to talk on the phone with headphones that block out outside sound (it makes your voice sound like your ears are plugged up. You end up with big cable mangement issues too, since you only need about 18" of headphone cord and you usually have 4' +. I didn't care for clipping the mic on my shirt either...

In the end, I decided the stock earbuds worked better for me than I expected for most of my use. When I really want to use my existing headphones, I am going to use the original iPod Shuffle adapter. I like to use closed headphones when I mow the lawn... :)

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Well I just got the Sennheiser MM50 headset (2.5mm, button, mic) and the Apple TTY adapter. I'm bummed to say it doesn't work. The button has no function and sound only comes out of the right side.

7. yagrax macrumors regular

TTY...my experience

I also bought the $19 TTY adapter.

It's worked on my iPhone (v1.0.2) with every 2.5mm headset I have, but then again, I purchased nearly all of them at Walmart or Target, so their fairly low-end. Obviously the inline mute button on the headsets work. And there's a gain thumbwheel on one of them that "lowers" the headset output into my ear, that works, but obviously doesn't increase the max volume that iPhone puts out.

The price is a bit steep, but then again, I don't have to mothball my 2.5mm headsets, which I have 3 or 4, and in all our cars just in case we forget one.

I'll update this with the model numbers if I can get them at lunchtime today, I threw away the packaging long ago...one of them is an over-the-head single earpiece, with boom mic, Plantronics from Wallyworld...

PS: I also have the new Shure adapter with the built in mic and the standard headphone out plug. The cord is a bit long. But the mic works great. On my headset, I just slip one of the headphones off when I'm talking on the iPhone, so the "plugged up" feeling goes away, no biggie...