Does the two year contract restrict you from selling your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sumtime19, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Sumtime19 macrumors member

I'm thinking about selling my iPhone (no hatred please <_<, my bill is just getting to be to much) over ebay. Does the two year contract require me to actually keep it for two years?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Assuming you're using AT&T within the US, yes the contract says 2 years. So you can just sell the iPhone on eBay, then pay the Early Termination Fee and whatever monthly bill comes. The ETF starts from $175 and deducts $5 per month you are within the contract.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Technically, the contract is just for the service. So, as long as you keep the carrier you can do whatever you want with the phone. In most cases, I would suspect that they can cancel the data portion without a problem, if not, you would want to get another phone with Internet access (easily) so that the money isn't going down the drain.

TEG

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

In the UK you can sell your iPhone but the contract says that the iPhone sim is only for use in an iPhone.

I put my sim in my blackberry while i was on holiday and they charged me an extra £10 for that month to pay for the blackberry service as i had breached my contract...

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

False. You can sell the iphone whenever you want, its yours. Just switch to a regular phone, call and have the data plan removed and you are good to go. You dont need to cancel your contract just keep using it with the other phone.

6. tnisatard macrumors 6502

yeah, i bought my iphone off someone from craigslist, and im pretty sure he didnt cancel his contract

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I lowered my plan and we kept our two iphones. I feel you on the price though.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Oops I should have been clearer on my post since I assumed the op is gonna end the contract after selling the phone, but nevertheless the contract is really for the service so do whatever you want for the phone. Apologies.

9. swapna81 macrumors member

Is it possible to remove the data plan on original iphone without being charged any fine/early termination fees??
    Will the contract renew to 2 more years if we remove the data plan?