Does the "Use Steam to Eliminate Particles" Method Really Work for Screen Shields?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Dec 22, 2010.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

As my title says. So, I have my bathroom steamed up to the extreme, haha. Getting ready to apply a screen shield, does this method really work or did I turn on a bunch of hot water for nothing?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I've done it a couple times and it definitely works.

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Ok, tired of Pure Anti-Glare+. Gonna go and install a crystal clear Incipio screen shield.

4. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I would say it helps, but I never really did it. Just make sure you wipe the screen clean, and don't move around too much while applying the film, then you should be fine.

5. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Definitely in need of a new method for applying screen shields, they are a pain in the ***. Let me know if this method works.

6. reebs macrumors 6502

reebs

It definitely works, less dust in the air but after using static screen shields I no longer use this method. Static screen shields have more clarity which is important for me with this retina display.

7. awtryau89 macrumors regular

It for sure works. I have tried it over and over this way and rarely ever get any dust. Its all about the steam settling the dust. Steam naturally weights the particles down and they cannot float in the saturated air. Steam the bathroom up really good then give it a minute or two while it dissipates.

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

After liberal swipes with a microfiber, I just spray the screen and the screen overlay with water. No need for a steamy room.

9. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I never use a steamy room. Tried once but found it hard to see. My eyes kept watering. Though once you screw up a couple of screen shields (I "learned" on super cheap ones I bought from eBay) then it becomes pretty easy.

I use some Monster Screen Clean (pick your favorite brand) and clean the screen really well. Then I wipe in one direction only to make sure that the screen is clean. Then I apply screen protector. I go from the home button which to me is the easiest.

I use a credit card (my AMEX since it is the softest card I have) to smooth out the bubbles as I apply. Use scotch tape to get out the "crap" if there is anything underneath.