Does the warranty go void when you're no longer under contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 12, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was wondering if the iPhone 3G is still under warranty if you no longer have an active iPhone account with AT&T.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its a manufacturer warranty through a company that creates the device. I cant imagine they'd reject service because you arent with AT&T (seeing as you're PAYG).

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, but if I bring it in with "NO SIM" displayed on the screen and they go to give me a new phone, they can't activate it.

Huh?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The warranty, as stated, is on the hardware. It has nothing to do with activation. Read your terms and conditions for further understanding.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I guess I thought that I read that Apple won't replace your iPhone unless you're officially on AT&T.

8. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

It's not a requirement they activate it after service or swapping it etc. I brought mine in with No O2 SIM inserted, and of course, the guy asked for the SIM on that occasion, but on an earlier occasion the replacement iPhone had no charge and with genius appointments being 10 minutes a slot, he handed over the phone and told me to charge and activate at home.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I don't have AT&T, and have had my 3G replaced twice while walking in to the Apple store with no SIM card in the phone. All the genius says it that if you need to activate it, buy a GoPhone starter kit from AT&T, and activate it here. Hope this helps. I, of course didn't use this method and unlocked and jailbroke my iPhone as soon as I got home instead.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

For what it's worth, Apple's support website specifically recommends that you should always remove your SIM card from your iPhone before you bring it in for servicing. So it should be perfectly normal and expected that your iPhone would show the "No SIM" message when you give it to the store representative.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1438