Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
Just curious because I hate all things Airport security these days.
Does the  Watch set off the metal detectors or is it small enough like my current watch that I can wear it straight through?

Thanks!

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
Great question.

If it's like my other smart watches, the answer is probably going to be yes. My Moto 360 and Pebble both triggered. I fly again on Tuesday -- will report back if someone else hasn't already.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
Great question.

If it's like my other smart watches, the answer is probably going to be yes. My Moto 360 and Pebble both triggered. I fly again on Tuesday -- will report back if someone else hasn't already.

Cool! Let us know!

I used to take off my watch but recently airport security has actually asked me to keep it on. Most likely because they've had watches stolen or something. But it never sets of the alarm currently. Of course an  Watch with its PC chips could set it off still.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
I used to take off my watch but recently airport security has actually asked me to keep it on. Most likely because they've had watches stolen or something. But it never sets of the alarm currently. Of course an  Watch with its PC chips could set it off still.
I think it's the lithium ion battery that sets it off. Flew 190k miles last year and didn't set off a detector with any of my Omega watches at any airport I went through.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
I think it's the lithium ion battery that sets it off. Flew 190k miles last year and didn't set off a detector with any of my Omega watches at any airport I went through.

Really? It's the battery and not the casing? That's surprising to hear. I look forward to seeing if anyone has some real world experience with this!

I honestly hate having to remove my belt every time. So one less item is great!

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
YES it will. The Watch will set off the Mags and they will make you take it off to go thru the Body Scanners.... Your best bet though is to NOT drop it in the bin. Put it into your coat pocket or bag or drop it in your shoe and run it thru. Watches that are free floating get dropped and go "missing" all the time.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Typically when I fly with a carry on bag, I keep a zipper pocket ready to drop my phone, keys and watch in right before security. That way I can drop in, zip up and then retrieve on the other side. It does make using passbook for a boarding pass slightly more difficult.

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
My small-town airport (4 gates) TSA folks made me take my Sport off and put it through the luggage scanner (no body scanner there). My return was out of O'Hare. I didn't take it off there. The body scanner must have picked it up as the TSA person asked me to pull up my sleeve so she could look at my wrist. That was enough to satisfy her.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
YES it will. The Watch will set off the Mags and they will make you take it off to go thru the Body Scanners....
This is not true in my experience. Neither the TSA mags nor the high rise office building security mags went off wearing the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.