Does the watch work without the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by McDaddio, Mar 14, 2015.

1. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I know that it won't do the fancy stuff without a phone paired, but will it just do the very basic of telling you the time?

2. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I would imagine time and the apps still work, minus the part where it needs data to download things.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it still does time, several health functions, and can play music copied to the device.

4. Ries macrumors 68000

But I bet you properly have to pair it once with a phone to work. So i don't think you just can buy one without an iphone an use it.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hopefully it can work over wifi as well for certain apps such as music streaming.

6. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Correct. It must be paired to an iPhone 5, or newer. ;)

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It uses wifi to communicate directly to your iphone when the two are outside bluetooth range. It doesn't connect to your home wifi network. (Why not? Well for starters, it would require text input capability to enter network information, password and sometimes SSID if you hid that and so on), and would also require additional security precautions that could bog down the processor unnecessarily and burn additional power.

8. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I doubt it will even tell the time until paired with a phone. If you stay in the same time zone and never need data then maybe it will work once initialized.

BUT, out of the box I have a feeling it is going to be set on Cupertino Time. Just no point to get it if you do not have a phone of the correct level to pair it to.

9. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

My friend is a nurse and asked if she put her phone in her locker at work and both were paired to the same wifi network, would her watch still function so long as connected to wifi? She hates carrying her phone and a watch for important notifications and reminders would be super useful thoughout her day. I told her yes, I hope I was right lol.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Only if she works close to the locker. :eek: Once the :apple:Watch loses connection to the iPhone all external connections are lost. The iPhone is the internet portal for the :apple:Watch.

11. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

You cannot get e-mail or text messages on your watch with out your phone.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The Apple watch uses both Bluetooth and Wifi. If you are on the same Wifi network you don't need to be within Bluetooth range for it to work properly.

13. Julien, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The :apple:Watch uses a combination point to point BT/WiFi (AirPlay like) to connect to your iPhone. The :apple:Watch ONLY connects to the iPhone and there is no way to see, connect or access the :apple:Watch WiFi because it is an invisible part of the BT iPhone AirPlay type connection.

In order for the :apple:Watch to connect to the internet it MUST be BT/WiFi point to point paired with your iPhone. Then your iPhone must be connected to the internet by cell service or to a WiFi.

Your :apple:Watch can't connect to any WiFi network nor can any WiFi network see an :apple:Watch. Your iPhone IS the internet portal for your :apple:Watch.

14. McDaddio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone.

My only concern was what happens when your phone runs out of battery, or you forget it. I know it needs to initially be paired, etc, but was wondering it has any utility (e.g. telling time) is your phone is not available.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes to time, timer, alarm and you can use several of the native Apps. You can play music (2GB limit and BT headphones), look at pics, count steeps and calories and use :apple:Pay without your iPhone.

Some are saying and it may be correct that in order to setup a new :apple:Watch you may need an iPhone.

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Any idea what the range is?

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is invisible and you will have no idea if it's using WiFi or BT or a combination of both just like you don't see how AirPlay works. I don't think having WiFi will extend the range much since WiFi and BT are close in frequency and the WiFi will be limited by the output power and sensitivity of the iPhone and :apple:Watch. It is not a detected router plugged into the wall.

I think the main advantage to having both is redundancy, reliability and extended bandwidth at a greater range.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It would depend entirely on local conditions, including thickness and composition of walls in the building you're in, amount of other wireless activity around you and so on. Put your iphone in wireless hotspot mode and connect to it with another (mobile) device and you might get some sort of idea. As Julien mentions, you'd be somewhat limited by power output and sensitivity of the respective transcievers involved, and these things run on (in the watch's case rather tiny) batteries... However, modern wifi tech is quite amazing, so it'll probably be enough for most users.

19. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

So what can the Apple Watch do WITHOUT the iPhone?

Seems to be common that so many smart watches are tethered to their respective phones.

However, I'm curious as to what features will work on the Apple Watch without the iPhone? I know the Music app, but is that the only one? What if I want to stream Pandora, can I connect to a wifi network? Does it essentially become a brick? Any ideas?

20. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Telling time, playing stored music, viewing stored photos, and storing some fitness data (steps and heart rate). Everything else needs to have the iPhone nearby, as the phone runs all the processes.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...just to add a biggie too, :apple:Pay will work.