Does the week number in the serial actually make a difference?

Pepper Pot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
I've just got a replacement for my faulty iPhone which was a week 29, my replacement is a week 26, and I've noticed that the signal strength is slightly weaker (when I first got my other iPhone the signal was quite weak but after a day or two it got stronger, so maybe it needs to settle or somethin?)

My question: does the build week number actually make a difference? Did they alter anything in the design at all!? I'm just curious is all :)

-----------------------------​

My faulty iPhone had a flickering screen that flashed different brightness' all the time, after the Genius looked at the phone he was amazed and said he'd never seen it before because as you look inside the headphone jack you could see the screen shining through the jack, bizarre - I had a unique iPhone :) but now I will never see it again:(

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes it means that it was made on a different week :D:D:D

no body really knows, people say that latest weeks works better, but the fact is that every batch of product manufacture can have slimly different in process

Pepper Pot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
Week 29 for a week 26? Does that mean refurbished phones are in circulation?
Maybe they had the replacement phones lying around in the back?

how can I tell if it is a refurbished iPhone? My serial is 88026AKV***

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Supposedly the newer weeks don't have a signal issue but it's not proven. Some people are saying their week 30s don't have signal issues, others are saying they do. But that is what's said for any production week, really.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've noticed everyone who's gotten a replacement has received a phone with a more recent manufacturing week, not an older one.

Pepper Pot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
Supposedly the newer weeks don't have a signal issue but it's not proven. Some people are saying their week 30s don't have signal issues, others are saying they do. But that is what's said for any production week, really.
My old phone had no signal issues and had a really strong signal most of the time, this phone has 1-2 bars...

I'm starting to worry now :(

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Yes, it's critical to get the newest if you want a properly functioning phone.

I'm on replacement number four. This one works as it's designed to function. The first three were labeled as defective by the genius at the Apple store. While this cost me a tremendous amount of time and trouble, at least I now have what I paid for. A working iP4.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010

I'm on replacement number four. This one works as it's designed to function. The first three were labeled as defective by the genius at the Apple store. While this cost me a tremendous amount of time and trouble, at least I now have what I paid for. A working iP4.
Not true. Week 21 here and no antenna or proximity sensor issues.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I had a week 30 owned by my sister-in-law side by side with my launch day week 25 this past weekend and both reacted the same when touched or held in teh magic spot. I really think the issues people may be seeing with differing signal have to do with what signal they are receiving at that moment in time.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ

That's amazing. I think some folks are just OCD w/ their device.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Week number can potentially make a difference. My friend has a week 29, and she is saying she can reproduce the signal issue quite well apparently. I have a week 30, and I can not replicate the problem in a big enough scale, maybe 1 bar after gripping it for a minute or two.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Ah got it, week 30, drops 2 bars in "the grip" when naked, only one bar and more slowly with my old 3G Gear4 'tyre tread' rubber on.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
The signal strength on my week 26 iPhone 4 32GB running iOS 4.01 varies from 1 to 5 bars for no apparent reason, even without touching the phone, although it has never dropped a call. Could this variation be due to the availability and signal strength for different cell phone antennae?

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
week 22 antenna issue

spend more time on gprs than 3g at home an when i do get 3g i get 1-2 bars but go downstairs i have no signal all together

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.