Does the White Macbook keyboard,trackpad,palmrest get "shiny" from wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xvrockerlouvx, Mar 15, 2008.

1. xvrockerlouvx macrumors newbie

By "shiny" i mean spots on the keys and trackpad getting shiny and oily looking. I know the black macbook does, and almost all other laptops, but does the white macbook get like this? Thanks.

2. Halsey12 macrumors regular

3. xvrockerlouvx thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser remove the "shiny" spots?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Happens to my MBP also so clean fingers and clean the unit carefully.

5. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

nope because they are actually the surface wearing off

6. xvrockerlouvx thread starter macrumors newbie

How long would it take for the white keys to get shiny from the plastic wearing away. My old laptop it took only about 3 months before it started happening, that was silver keys.

7. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

If you've already discided to buy a macbook, then you just have to buy one an see for you self. :)

That would be my best suggestion :)

8. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

My macbook started to show after about 4 months of use. Now at about 9 months old the keys are showing and the clicker/mousepad. I am guessing the only thing you could do is buy a keyboard cover and maybe a mousepad cover if they make one. I did buy the Marware cover for the Macbook to protect the hand rest from wear.

9. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

ya assuming that you used the computer regularly it's safe to expect noticeable wear marks in about 3-4 months

10. TK B$K macrumors 6502

The white one in my mind always seems like it would get totally grimyyyy.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would get...

iKlear, iKlear and more iKlear! Those "magic erasers" are a must have, and are reasonably priced. Also, keep the foam insert between your screen and keypad, due to the possibility that the spacebar will leave an impression on your screen almost immediately! Clean all the keys and the touchpad regularly, and the next time you clean it, it won't be a one-hour job. Watch out for the wristwatch striking the palmrest area, 'cause over time it will develop a noticeable group of scratches. Work on adjusting your wrist while typing or even investing a couple of bucks on a nice palmrest. :cool:

12. TK B$K macrumors 6502

oh really? ^ iklear? ill have to look into that

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

One of the most noticeable...

things about iKlear, is that it cleans and polishes. I use it on my BlackBook all the time, now. When I had my White MB, I always kept a bottle with me. Using the terry cloth and the polishing cloth will keep it looking immaculate! :cool:

14. Pacer69 macrumors member

I read that bestskinsever also has trackpad covers along with palmrest covers that are very affordable and look and feel great.

15. canada1 macrumors newbie

I have a white macbook and my trackpad is very shiny. It actually makes the macbook look very cool. I just love the look of it. Don't get any covers for the trackpad. You will love the look of it too.

16. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Gah, my wristwatch has completely ruined any semblance of 'tack' in the right side of my macbook -.-

17. Buzz Bumble Guest

Yep. The white ones do get very dirty very quickly (at least the older models, not sure about this latest new MacBook). Supposedly you can clean them using a normal pencil eraser, but you would pretty much have to be obsessive about it to keep it clean.

18. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    All of the new unibody white MacBooks are shiny there. ;) My old white one got shiny on the keys too. Just a fact of life.

19. canada1 macrumors newbie

I have the first generation macbook. My trackpad became shiny from use. There is a big shiny patch in the middle. It makes my macbook look cool. I just love the look of the shiny patch on the middle of the trackpad.