Does the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player work in Leopard's DVD player application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shorties, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I am debating buying the 360 HD-DVD player for my Macbook Pro, (I have a 360 but no HDTV but my Macbook's monitor is 1080) so I was wondering if the new Leopard DVD player supports the HD-DVD player (I saw it had a HD setting) or if there is a 3rd party application that can enable HD-DVD video playback that I can get for it. (I don't want to have to switch to my Vista partition to watch movies).

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

While DVD Player.app does support HD DVD, but it does not support VC-1 encoded material (which is what most commercial HD DVDs are), and does not support the copy protection and encryption used on commercial discs either.

3. projectle macrumors 6502

I would not expect to see this until Macs start shipping with HD-DVD or Bluray drives.

4. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will at least is there a 3rd party application I can buy to make it work in OSX?

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

if you were going to spend that much, i'd spend a little more and buy a dual-format player. the LG GGC-H20L is anywhere from $275-325 at many online retailers (NewEgg price $299). Then just get a 5.25" SATA enclosure and you'll have yourself an external Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player. unless of course you wanted to use it with the 360, then just buy the HD-DVD player.

but to answer the bigger question, as far as i know, no Mac apps to player either, so you'd have to use BootCamp and run PowerDVD Ultra.