Does this app exist? (PC or Mac)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but:

I have always wondered if there was an app or plugin that would help students from procrastinating (like I'm doing now) by allowing the user to put in times and dates where certain sites like facebook, Macrumors, or reddit etc, cannot be accessed for a set amount of time by the user ahead of time.

Like I want to be able to have the app or plugin filter website access based on certain dates and times that I entered previously knowing in the future that I might wander the web when I am supposed to be doing homework or a paper.

Any ideas?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It exists, for mac and pc... but I don't have any idea what it's called, or where to look.. but I remember seeing it back when.

3. SteneDave macrumors member

Man.. thats called parental control, but what a spirit to use it on yourself :D

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I use one called selfcontrol for Mac. You enter a bunch of blacklist websites, and set a timer, and once you start the timer, there is no way to end it until the time runs out. Does the job when I need to get homework done. :)

5. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Sweet dude thanks so much! That's just what I needed! Surprised it's a free app, they could prolly make millions off college students if it was a paid app

6. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

There are several good ones for Mac OS X

- Concentrate
    - Vitamin-R
    - Selfcontrol

if you hac Mac OS X 10.5, 10.5.x, 10.6, 10.6.x, you can use the built in Parental Controls from System Preferences! You can even mange them from another computer!

7. anotherdave macrumors newbie

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I use concentrate, I got it in a Macheist bundle I think.

But really, the best method is self-discipline, I've been using the program less and less.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The app comes free with every human brain. It's called will power. Apparently it's quite buggy, and sometimes completely broken on human brains created after 1989.

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Absolutely hilarious!

11. anotherdave macrumors newbie

I agree with this, but if we weren't rubbish procrastinators, we wouldn't be hanging round web forums!

Rescue Time looks like a useful tool. It appears to monitor which app window is in focus, to show you how you spent your day, which will hopefully provoke you to exercise some self-discipline.

(that said it appears to require to be linked to a website rather than just your OS user account, so I'm too paranoid to use it!)