Does This Application Exist?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wbhambone, Sep 1, 2008.

1. wbhambone macrumors member

I have a dock that is connected to my receiver (home entertainment system). I like to dock my Touch and listen throughout the house. There are times I would like to change/control what is being played without having to go back to the room where my ipod is docked.

Is there an application that I could use on my laptop (powerbook) that would allow me to remotely control the music that is played on my docked ipod? Basically I'm looking for a version of the Remote app that is reversed.

Does something like this exist?

Thanks.

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

While it is neither software, or cheap, the iSkin Cerulean TX + RX would do what you are trying to achieve, by making your iPod touch or PowerBook communicate over Bluetooth with the dock.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

There is an application to do it the other way around... meaning you can use your iPod Touch to connect to your PB.

It is called "Remote", free in the app store. Very cool :).

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

You could also eliminate the iPod touch and dock and just put in an Airport Express and use AirTunes. Then, just leave your PowerBook on and you can choose what you want to play from your PowerBook (Using iTunes) and iPod touch (using Remote app mentioned earlier). That way, you can just use the iPod or Powerbook and have greater flexibility. Plus, who doesn't like a better WiFi signal?:D

5. fake1009 macrumors member

why don't you just play the music from your laptop since you are, i am thinking, taking it with you throughout the house.

6. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

@fake1009 - because I like listening to my music on legitimate speakers, not pb speakers.

@txhockey9404 - I thought about Airport Express. It's cheaper than iSkin solution, but I'd prefer a software solution.

@Texas04 - I have the Remote app. And like I originally said, I'm looking for the reverse of that.

The Remote app works because the computer and Touch/iPhone are on the same network. I would think that the reverse could happen as well. I'm surprised there's not a software solution that could achieve this.

Oh well, life goes on.

7. shaqzilla macrumors newbie

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is quite what he wants though. From what I understand, he wants a software solution to allow his Powerbook to control his iPod Touch. AFAIK, it does not exist. What he wants is the opposite of the Remote app, not something that will allow him to play his iTunes library on his iPod touch, but not control it.

Here is a guide to what I was saying before: Lifehacker.com

9. wbhambone thread starter macrumors member

yeah, txhockey9404 is correct. Thanks for the lifehacker link. My understanding of the Simplify Media app is that it's similar to the Remote app...that you can control your iTunes music from your Touch. I want to go the other direction - control the music on my ipod (docked to a receiver) from my computer.

10. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I did a lot more Google-ing for you, and I could not find anything, so I am thinking that the Airport Express may be the best (only?) way to go. Sorry if it is not exactly what you wanted, but hey, now you have an iPod touch to play with outside of your speaker system, and you can also expand your Airport Express network.;)

Also, I don't think what you want could exist over a networked connection or even withing the iPod itself (as an alternative to the native music app), unless it is an Apple-created solution, because nothing other than the Apple apps can access the music stored in the iPod.