Does this confirm that Apple watch can have more watch faces?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by venividivigor, Apr 10, 2015.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

It could be a possibility...

Attached Files:

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There's is a YouTube video explaining this.

It's how to save different configurations of the current watch faces so you can quickly select them.

4. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

I believe that the alternate pairing option. If the Watch app can not detect your watch you can use the iPhone camera to put it at the watch face to pair it.

5. vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

i used that + option on watch on demo.. you can delete faces by swiping them up, and if you want it back you can go to + sign and add existing faces.. it is possible that they will add 3rd party faces thru your phone watch app..

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

My thought is they will open this up eventually, possibly even at WWDC this year.

It doesn't make sense to have a digital watch with a gorgeous screen and only 6 different watch faces.

I bet they will open up a new Watch Face SDK that allows third party developers to build custom watch faces with interaction (Like the sun position face) or define areas of customization and complication locations.

7. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I agree...it's a huge selling point for me. Being able to effectively make your watch different all the time via easy to use bands and virtual faces is part of the appeal for me.

8. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

I think the dilemma here is that Apple wants watch faces that doesn't use too much battery (Like that Timelapse watchface that dissapeared later on).

So I guess there will maybe be some approval system like apps on appstore.

9. shenfrey macrumors 68000

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I sure hope they do allow this. I want Goofy and Donald and Jiminy Cricket...

11. 5684697, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

5684697 Suspended

It will be a copyright/intellectual property nightmare. Why would Apple want to wade into researching and approving every submitted design against thousands of existing watchmaker's designs?

12. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Nope, I actually clicked on this button during my try-on appointment and all it did was bring up all the watch faces to choose from, but in a different oriented list. Scrolling up and down as opposed to left and right.

I assume it's where you save customised watch faces.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

That's why I've been saying, it would be great if, in time they released a "watch face designer kit" app for end users.

Does not have to be able to be as extensive or complex as a Genuine Apple watch face.
    Just with enough options and features to create your own faces.
    Perhaps from a dozen or more starting templates you can customize every aspect of.

That way Apple are totally in the clear legally, and end users can have free choice and control to have exactly the watch face they want to individually personalise the look of the watch they have bought.

However.... Do I think Apple will offer end users such a program and ability?

No. :(

14. 5684697 Suspended

That would be fun- a watch construction app. They allow a spectrum of modification to their current faces, but a full monty watch design app would be attractive. Not so sure about the designs that would emanate from the plebeian masses, but fun nonetheless.

15. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I wonder why can't we use our own pics as watchfaces?

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

This is one thing that I will miss from my Pebble. They have a "Watch Face Generator" that you can use to design your own unique watch face. I have used it to make 3 watch faces for my Pebble. One of which has the Apple logo on it, and so far I've used it to fool some people into thinking I was beta testing a version of the Apple watch. :roll eyes:

On the actual :apple:Watch you of course cannot design your own face, only modify existing faces. This is not a deal breaker for me at all, just a minor disappointment. It is nice to have a watch face that only you and no one else has.

Down the road Apple may come out with something like the watch face generator, it did not come out with the earliest Pebbles, but was written by a developer. The same thing may happen with Apple.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    There are several watchface "players" for Android Wear, where people can design a face and upload it for others to see.

FaceRepo is a major repository for two of those players. Check out some of the faces people have made. (I set that link to show round faces, but you can change to square using the menu on the left.)

I think Apple will have to release something similar, sooner or later.

18. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I think they are going to mirror the iPhone. Give just enough to satisfy the early adopters, then wait for people to demand a full sdk and ability to add watch faces, then release at WWDC and the people go crazy.

All just guessed of course but they know how to make people want just a little more and they're even better at satisfying the masses.

19. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I am sure this type of functionality will come in time. As always, Apple slowly opens up features.

20. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

No more so than the intellectual property checks they already have to do for normal 3rd party app development.