Does this even make sense?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by veryape, Feb 2, 2011.

1. veryape macrumors newbie

Basically, whenever my fans start spinning, let's say more than 3000 rpm, my computer (2006 mbp) crashes. I only noticed this recently after thinking my computer was completely defunct. I turned it on one day and noticed one of the fans wasn't working (I use smcFanControl). My computer was functioning 100% for the first time in months. I didn't want to restart it, afraid that I would break my luck, but had to a few weeks later when I went on vacation. When I returned it was back to how it was. Both fans were functioning and it was crashing every time it was on for more than say, 5 minutes. It then occurred to me to turn down the minimum fan speed with smcFanControl (I only installed this to begin with because I thought my computer was crashing because it was getting too hot...it does get really hot.) So now, as long as my fans are spinning at a 2000 rpm my computer functions fine, but it usually doesn't last there long.

I guess my question is why and if there is there anything I can do?

I'm already planning on and saving for a new mbp, but I'd like to at least have this computer functioning until the refresh considering I've stuck by it for this long.

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It has to be some sort of hardware failure, I would just repair it or borrow a friend's computer until refresh.