Does this fall under warranty/applecare whatever?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forever Changed, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Forever Changed macrumors newbie

I've had this macbook since november and the other day I noticed a crack on the base below the keyboard, right next to the edge. I then noticed it came from the part of the lid that juts out slightly on the top. So when it closed it apparently cracked the plastic. Would this count as a product problem or is it my fault for closing it too hard or something?

Thanks.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i am noy sure, but i don t think it will be covered by APP

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon it has some legs. Give them a call or a visit to find out for sure though.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Do a search - maybe on "crack" - there are a bunch of these cropping up and it's been met with a variety of responses. Most of them not going well - BUT, it's something that needs to be documented for future actions from Apple.

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I would let them know immediately. You want that on record because one of the biggest reasons the Apple uses to deny warranty repairs is cracked cases.

6. SalukiWildcat macrumors member

Post some pictures, my friend.

I had the exact same problem with my blackbook CD back in January. I called AppleCare, and yes, I had to go higher up and talk to one of the higher ups at that office - but they approved my repair. And, literally, two days later, my whole entire lower casing, along with brand new keyboard and trackpad, were replaced and the machine was back in my hands.

This problem is a recurring issue. The cases seem to be weak in that area, and if you put it in a bag with anything else (like in a book bag), the stress will eventually crack the case, which you have experienced.

No worries, they should cover it, as they have for me and countless others on MR (look for other threads, they are out there). And, if they say no, keep calling them! They will eventually.

7. superted666 Guest

superted666

Both me and a friend had this,

Took both our macbooks to local applestore and they replaced the topcase (as they call it) same day.

Dont let them fob you off, its a design flaw

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I would never ever accept Apple telling me that it's due to my abuse given how many people are having this issue. These laptops are designed to be closed using the magnets inside the case. They pull the bezel toward the main unit quite strongly and there is inevitable stress in that area, but that's Apple's design and if it doesn't hold up it's Apple's lack of prior testing that is the problem. Anybody with any kind of knowledge of design would tell you that the area underneath should have additional support, not to mention the palmrest plastic should be of better quality and thicker.

Make sure they don't try to dismiss you and good luck!

9. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

It happened to my girlfriends macbook, they replaced it.

10. Forever Changed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

So is it better to go to my local Apple Store or send it in?

If I take it to the apple store they can do it right there and return it to me right? Because I kind of need it for school a lot. Also - do i need to go to the genius bar or can i go to a regular rep?

Thanks so much for the help!