Does this happen every year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Apr 6, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

So iPhone 4 sales have slowed (I guess except for on Verizon), Android is top dog now, and Apple's shares are down. We're kind of in the iPhone 4's twilight months and starting to gear up for the iPhone 5, while lots of other phones are coming out from other manufacturers. When you search "iPhone" or "Apple" you get lots of foreboding headlines about doom and gloom for Apple.

In some ways, I'm really worried. I'm a pretty new Apple fan--a former hater. But I have bought into their eco-system. I really don't like Android very much at all, and I'm super excited about getting my iPad 2 from FedEx in a couple of weeks, but I hate all the bad press. Gives me buyer's remorse. It kind of reminds me of when everyone was saying the Xbox 360 would die because the PS3 was going to drop in price and everyone would be all over it.

Logic, common sense, history, and anecdotal evidence tell me that the Apple brand is strong and the iPhone 5 is already a much hyped product. The worrier in me is afraid of a future where my only VIABLE choice is Android. Again, I have tried Android in its multiple versions and I still just don't like it.

So, old Apple fans: Tell me, the new Apple fan, is this the natural ebb and flow of things? People I know who have always liked Apple tell me that this is just a common worry that you tend to get over if you are into Apple for awhile.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Meh, ask any random person on the street and they'll think Apple is on the up and up.

It's usually similar in the car industry, cars are only released in the summer/fall. This time of the year would be crazy to buy a 2011 model when the 2012s are coming out in a couple years.

And I wouldn't worry about Android. The more I look at things we still have RIM, WebOS, and WP7. These platforms will be around for a while and offer ample competition for Android/iOS

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You're being hysterical. Apple is clearly doing just fine; I'm really not sure what you're scared of, that there will be no iPhone 5? It's their best selling product, of course there will be future iterations.

Besides, you seem to think everything is moving so fast, maybe Android will become a whole different beast in the future and you'll actually like it... Okay, that's unlikely, but so is the thought of Apple going down the crapper in the near future.

4. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Why on earth would you be worried and have buyer's remorse? I have my iPhone 4 and love it. I love it for what it is (a cool device), not for Apple's stock price, press, competition, etc. Learn to enjoy what you have rather than worry about what you don't have and you'll be fine. If Apple went belly up tomorrow, I'd still love my iPhone and would enjoy the apps I have today for many years to come.

5. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I like to feel like the tech I own has some kind of future. Since the iOS ecosystem is generating so much cash for developers, I imagine the apps won't go away anytime soon. I just hope Apple stays strong, whether or not they have Steve Jobs, whether or not Android starts making money for developers, whether or not there are more viable tablet competitors. I have really come to appreciate how they do things FINALLY after all these years of hating them, and now it seems like there's just a lot of bad news surrounding them.

I felt like this around the time of antennagate too. Go figure. :)

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Hysterical... Apple... A Company that has never been so popular... Going down soon?

I honestly don't know what to say...

100 million iPhone 5's are projected to be sold. If that doesn't say anything to you, I don't know what will.

7. Apple 26.2, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

25 million iPad2s in March alone. 100 million iPhone4s since launch.

You tell me.

8. ipxmbx macrumors member

Both Google and Apple have a lot of talented people. Competing breeds very good products from each of them. Either choice is a good one, it's all personal preference.

9. Garamond macrumors regular

Haha! This was kinda funny to read, especially since I've been a Mac user since 1995 and Apple has since been decleared dead 55 times.

I rest my case.

10. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

D_mn 100million!!! They are going to run out of people to purchase them at this rate :rolleyes:

11. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I'm really not sure what you're talking about in terms of bad news. Android is ahead of iOS, but what does it matter? This pretty much sums up my ideas as far as that goes: http://johnsiphone.com/apple-doesnt-mind-losing-lead-android/

They have TONS of money in reserve, and they are doing incredibly well in all of their markets. There is no way Apple will be facing any problems anytime soon. And if they did, who cares? The iPhone will still be amazing. It's one of their top selling products, and they will put every effort into it until the end (which is most likely a long way off).

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you worry too much ... Apple is getting stronger :cool:

13. McGiord, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How time flies...

Back in the 80s you had to wait years to see new :apple: products/revisions.

In the 90s...even those were the dark days...cool things were done.

The feeling of a new iPhone a couple of times a year isn't that bad?
    Either new hardware or iOS, it is a very short lead time and lifecycle for an electronic device that requires a lot of work to design and release to the market.
    Even though they last for a long time.

The remorse I have is when after some years of not using them, how will I keep the battery in good shape.

Maybe the longest wait I had was to get a phone from :apple:, after the Newton and using several Palm OS devices, a Treo with a Handspringboard GSm phone add on...later on getting an iPod, the longest I waited from them has been for the great :apple: iPhone....I will say it took about 6 years...after that they have always found a way to keep up with all of us.

If Android and the others outpace them, they will fight back with something better, so don't worry be happy now...don't worry...be happpy

The remorse I have is that I was forcing my father to sell the MacPlus.

14. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Official iPad 2 numbers haven't been announced, but the estimated number is more along the lines of 2.5 million, no where near 25 million. Apple hasn't made 25 million iPad 2's yet. Also, at the iPad 2 event Apple announced 100 million iPhones sold, not just iPhone 4, but every single iteration (iPhone, 3G, 3GS and 4).

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple is going to be bigger than Exxon by next year. Relax. Just bored tech journalism trying to stir things up on these "sales race." Like sports for tech geeks. Holy wars over possessions. More important things in life than worrying about which phones are better than what? Just enjoy what you have and move on. No need to feel insecure about sales. Volume sales doesn't equal quality.

Apple is always about quality over quantity. They will still be making huge profit margins no matter what their competitors do. Did Apple stop making Macs because Windows took over 90% of the desktop space? Of course not. Apple is about trying to make the best product and maintain an ease of use with it.

Before iPhone, was there only ONE choice? Even when Nokia had a greater global marketshare, there were still other choices. The market is big enough to cater billions of people that there will always be other options.

And yes, this gloom and doom talks seems to happen every year now that Apple is relevant since the iPod. No different with Lakers fans overreacting that their team lost 3-4x in a row. *gasp* There is always someone trying to bring you down when you are on top from envy and jealousy. A sense to rebel. Everybody will be fine. Even Nokia and RIM.

16. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

haha--thanks guys

I've only been using Apple stuff full time for a year. Still not real keen on Macs, but I love my iPhone 4 and I am absolutely dying for my iPad 2 to come in. It just seems like every time I start really buying into Apple mentally, some big news story happens that sheds them in a negative light. In the last few days I have been reading:

--Apple needs to become innovative again or they will continue losing market share

--the iPhone is dead

--Developers will all go to Android eventually just like they did with Windows

--Android tablets will do the same thing to the iPad that the phones did to the iPhone

--Apple's stock index has been adjusted and they took a huge hit over concerns about their long term future

In some ways I hate technology. A company that looks absolutely amazing today can look like it's on life support the next day. It's not that I will enjoy using my gadgets any less because of it, but rather that I want to be invested in a system that has a future.

17. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I seem to remember them saying that about AOL when they decided to merge with Time Warner. I wonder what happened to them then? Oh yeah, broadband and the fact that they had no real plan to deal with it, and the anticipated synergy that they were to gain with Time Warner never materialized.

Just because a company is immensely popular does not mean that their downfall will not happen quickly and soon.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

apple now is like harley davidson. they've been up and they've been down but they're an icon and i see them being around for a long time.

19. penfan82 macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry too much as fast as tech changes I don't think anyone is going anywhere as long as the companies stay competitive and fresh both google and apple should be around a long time while like pepsi and coke both are still around and going strong and unless ur a total fanboy of either I think everyone at some point in their tech lives will own something of both platforms I loving the tech world think it's actually fun to watch and wonder what will they come up with next

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It does: Like all tech, eventual obsolescence.

Stop worrying about an inevitable tomorrow and start enjoying today.

21. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

2.5 million iPad 2's
    Love how stuff changes on forums so quickly.

22. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

It seems to me you're letting rumors and gossip affect how you feel about a product, rather than just enjoy it.

Don't buy Apple products because it's (supposedly) the cool thing to do. Buy them because you personally like them, regardless of what everyone else thinks.

I like Apple products not just because of their functionality, but because of their design as well.

The press is all over Apple because they are the ones to beat. Look at all of the phones and tablets that are out now. It's all because of the iPhone and iPad.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sure it was just a typo.

24. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What he said! (plus some punctuation)

People love complaints/bad news/hyperbole and speculation. Journalists and the people they work for have always known this fact. This is why Toyota laying off 1000 will make a headline, while Toyota hiring 2000 will only make a back page paragraph.

Consider also that whatever handset you have today you'll probably only use for 1-3 years anyway. So if at the end of that time Theres something truly better and you buy it, what will you lose?

Lastly, as much as I like Android as a great alternative to iOS, most of the Android handsets get abandoned by their manufacturer/carrier for OS upgrades after 3-6 months. (talk about real motivation for buyers remorse)

25. Reach9, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Don't sweat it buddy.
    The only reason Android has a larger share is because they're outselling the iPhone due to a new Android phone being released every few months!
    Mind you, currently the top Android phones are much better than the iPhone 4, smartphone wise.

But rumors point to a completely revamped iOS for iOS 5, and the iPhone 5 rumors look promising as well.
    The only way Apple could compete against Android at their own game, is if they released more and different iPhones every year, but i don't see that happening. Don't fret over the market share, just make sure you enjoy the phone you have!

And Apple will keep on climbing, as Market Cap. goes, Apple is projected to become the #1 company in the world, currently it's at #2.

Agreed.
    But AOL merged with Huffington Post right?