Does this iPad replace a MacBook Pro for anyone?

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Just curious if anyone will replace their MacBook with the new iPad? I am considering it, I have a Mac Mini to fall back on to do "real" desktop work.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
That depends. Personally, on my MBP, I use Photoshop, Sketch Up, Word, and a bunch of other programs daily that I just wouldn't be able to use on the iPad. But if you're the type of person who just uses their laptop for web browsing, e-mail, and iTunes, it could definitely replace it.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
The new iPad will be replacing my MacBook since I gave it to my in laws. I'm considering getting a Mac mini for tasks the iPad won't be able to do.

lincolnmayer

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I was having terrible difficulties trying to purchase the iPad 3 -_- it lead me to thinking if I should go through the trouble of getting one.. anyone else having problems pre-ordering it?

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
No for me. My MBP is my productivity machine. The iPad is just an entertainment device for me when I'm lounging about, not really doing anything. That was the system I had with my iPad 2 and it worked fine. I plan on following the same setup with this new iPad.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
I was just asking, since I am finding that I am not traveling with the MacBook as much, and the majority that I do, is Safari, email, and some iTunes. So it seems like it may be worth it for people like myself, who does "real" work on my desktop the majority of the time.

When I bought the MacBook the iPad was not an option.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
ipad + external keyboard=main device for me. i've written several threads about it on these forums. it's doable.

but, i still have the mbp for heavy lifting: pdf optimization, combining files into a pdf, pdf ocr, scrivener, etc. i turn the mbp on a couple days a week. imac + ipad ought to be fine.

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Personally, no. I code a fair amount and the iPad won't be able to handle that task for the foreseeable future. It's essentially an e-reader for me that can also play Ascension. :rolleyes:

AllCoExPat

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
I'm basically replacing my MBP with iPad for mobile needs. Since the only things I really need on the road are email, web, and a few apps, the iPad works nicely and reduces alot of weight from taking my 15 inch MBP everywhere. For anything requiring more processing power at home, I've got a mini and that arrangement seems to work well for me. I think how practical it is for you really depends on what your needs are when you're away from home.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Not a chance. I already have the iPad HD on pre-order. But my MBP remains the king because I play games and do all sorts of stuff the iPad can't replace.