Does this iPad replace a MacBook Pro for anyone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfitz7111, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Just curious if anyone will replace their MacBook with the new iPad? I am considering it, I have a Mac Mini to fall back on to do "real" desktop work.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

That depends. Personally, on my MBP, I use Photoshop, Sketch Up, Word, and a bunch of other programs daily that I just wouldn't be able to use on the iPad. But if you're the type of person who just uses their laptop for web browsing, e-mail, and iTunes, it could definitely replace it.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

A big Hell No for me!! My MBP is way...way more productive than the iPad!

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

The new iPad will be replacing my MacBook since I gave it to my in laws. I'm considering getting a Mac mini for tasks the iPad won't be able to do.

5. lincolnmayer macrumors member

I was having terrible difficulties trying to purchase the iPad 3 -_- it lead me to thinking if I should go through the trouble of getting one.. anyone else having problems pre-ordering it?

6. bambamyi macrumors newbie

bambamyi

7. Neous macrumors member

Neous

No

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

No for me. My MBP is my productivity machine. The iPad is just an entertainment device for me when I'm lounging about, not really doing anything. That was the system I had with my iPad 2 and it worked fine. I plan on following the same setup with this new iPad.

9. bambamyi macrumors newbie

bambamyi

I use my iPad mostly during long trips to the toilet! :D

10. cfitz7111 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just asking, since I am finding that I am not traveling with the MacBook as much, and the majority that I do, is Safari, email, and some iTunes. So it seems like it may be worth it for people like myself, who does "real" work on my desktop the majority of the time.

When I bought the MacBook the iPad was not an option.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

ipad + external keyboard=main device for me. i've written several threads about it on these forums. it's doable.

but, i still have the mbp for heavy lifting: pdf optimization, combining files into a pdf, pdf ocr, scrivener, etc. i turn the mbp on a couple days a week. imac + ipad ought to be fine.

12. beret9987 macrumors regular

Personally, no. I code a fair amount and the iPad won't be able to handle that task for the foreseeable future. It's essentially an e-reader for me that can also play Ascension. :rolleyes:

13. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Nor will it replace my MBA. I need it for Back-up, syncing and pictures.

14. AllCoExPat macrumors newbie

I'm basically replacing my MBP with iPad for mobile needs. Since the only things I really need on the road are email, web, and a few apps, the iPad works nicely and reduces alot of weight from taking my 15 inch MBP everywhere. For anything requiring more processing power at home, I've got a mini and that arrangement seems to work well for me. I think how practical it is for you really depends on what your needs are when you're away from home.

15. n8236 macrumors 65816

Not a chance. I already have the iPad HD on pre-order. But my MBP remains the king because I play games and do all sorts of stuff the iPad can't replace.