Does this irk you...even a little?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jul 9, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

does it irk you at all...even a little bit that you won't be the one opening that freshly sealed 3G box and you won't be the first person to unwrap it from it's plastic and you won't be the first person to touch it?

i'd classify myself as a bit of a fanatic when it comes to purchasing things (espeically expensive items) and i like the anticipation and enjoyment of unboxing things i purchase. it sort of bums me out that a sales associate will be the one that opens up the box, unwraps my phone, activates it and gets their greasy fingerprints all over it before i do.

anyone else like this or just me?

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

You're not alone, I for one feel the same way.....but I'll live :D

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, you'll tell them that you get to touch it first or you won't buy it. That's not unreasonable, and if they don't let you, screw them.

4. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Me too. If they pull off the wrap that it comes in, I will have a silent freakout. Im really anal about stuff like that. So weird.

5. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I agree. Your not dropping chump change on this thing. At $300 they'd better let me hold it in silence for a few minutes before they do anything. I really wish we could activate and unbox it in the comfort of our own homes.

6. D3lta macrumors 6502a

+1

I hate thinking about the fact that the people at the AT&T stores get to touch my iPhone first...:mad:

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

while i feel the same way, you have to remember, this is how every phone is done. what other phone has the ability to activate at home, usually

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Hilarious thread!
    The way I see it: if I were buying an 8GB iPod touch I would have to pay £199 before I could open the box. And I would be the one opening the box.
    If I'm buying an 8GB iPhone I have to pay nothing, £0.00,* so I'm not too concerned if the person behind the counter has to open the box.

*(although admittedly I would have to pay £45/month for unlimited data and wifi hotspots, 1200 minutes and 600 texts - and those are British minutes and texts, mind, not the American ones that get used up if someone calls or texts me).

9. animenick65 macrumors 6502

The original iPhone?

10. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'm the exact same way. It irks me A LOT!

I'm just gonna tell the guy to let me open it up and hand it to him, that's completely reasonable, what kind of sales associate would say no?

I'd prefer it if he never touched it though, you think if I brought some latex gloves the att person would put them on while activating my precious? :D

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

well, the first iphone for example....you got to activate at home.

also, this doesn't just apply to the iphone per-se...it can be anything. would you want a sales associate cracking the seal and opeing your box to anything you bought (laptop, tv, video game system/game, etc...)

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

While it will be disappointing, I'll live. That sucker's coming out of the box again as soon as I'm back to my car most likely anyway.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Somehow, this conjures up a picture of a very annoyed queue of people behind you tearing their hair out while you commune with your new iPhone. :D

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Actually, this just made me think of something. Last week I had a TV delivered via Amazon's white-glove delivery service. Basically, the tv is deliverd to your house, unboxed by the couriers, and plugged in to make sure it works before you sign to accept delivery.

While, granted, the joy of unboxing a really cool tv myself was taken away, this did provide the advantage that, if things were screwy, I could reject acceptance and get a replacement headed my way.

So perhaps the silver lining of this is that, although the unboxing at home ritual is lost, if you happen to encounter a terrible buzzkill that is receiving a dud phone, it should be immediately recognized, and there will be more phones readily available to remedy this, (hopefully).

15. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Doesn't bother me a bit. I've opened enough shrink wrapped items for one lifetime. I'll be glad for someone else to do it! I just want the phone. ;)

16. rml4uk macrumors member

It will bother the buhjeezez out of me. I may be a bit on the extremely anal side of things when it comes to opening new gadgets (especially iPods with the shiny back). Did anyone else wear cotton gloves until they got a case for their original iPhone? I'm tempted to ask the AT&T associate if I can take the phone out of the box and hold it while they connect it and do their thing.

17. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

[​IMG]

bring a pair of these

and pay the employee 5 dollars

18. sananda macrumors 68020

together with playing a little harp music :D

19. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'm totally gonna ask to un-box it.
    I'm contemplating asking to hold it while they activate it, but that might be crossing the line. :D

20. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I think a lot of people on these forums need many years of therapy. ;)

21. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

After a glance at your avatar... I think you're one of them. :D

22. helloadam macrumors member

This is a great point. How ever much that smell of new plastic makes me happy in the pants, having a dud phone replaced right there would make it very nice. I just don't want them to peel off the protective film on it, cause that for some reason is one of my favorite things to do haha

23. hefnur macrumors newbie

Is this a USA type thing(activating in store)? I've ordered mine online with O2(our provider) and I *think* I can do everything at home. Either that or I'm going to have to leave my flat and head down into town...this wouldn't normally be a problem, but I may have to throw a sickie to get the day off work!

24. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

:mad:It "irks" me greatly. I am extremely obsessed with being the first person to open and touch things that BELONG TO ME!! My brand spanking new iPhone 3G DOES NOT BELONG to the AT&T worker.:mad:

Do you really want this guy to be touching your iPhone?
    [​IMG]

25. brandonzar macrumors regular

:)Hehehe.....British minutes:)

It bugs me as well, but I wonder if they could leave the plastic wrap on the iPhone and just move it out of the way on the bottom to sync it. They might be annoyed at the request, but I'm paying good money for the toy so I want to be the first one to play with it. ;)