Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
grapes911 said:
Yeah, but if you have a computer that requires it, what choice do you have?
Absolutely right. I'm still using my Cube which is actually 100MHz but will recognize the 133 MHz. But I always thought memory modules were interchangeable PC or Mac?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
g4cubed said:
Absolutely right. I'm still using my Cube which is actually 100MHz but will recognize the 133 MHz. But I always thought memory modules were interchangeable PC or Mac?
Not always. Macs are very picky about RAM. It must be comprised of so many chips, some chips just don't work, etc, etc. If you check out some of CanadaRAM's posts, you'll see he mentioned this at least a few times. This is why you always purchase RAM from a dealer that gives a Mac guarantee, not just a standard life-time warranty.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
g4cubed said:
But I always thought memory modules were interchangeable PC or Mac?

Macs are notoriously picky about RAM. don't ask me why. i got the cheap bottom of the line RAM for my PB and it worked fine. i got the cheap bottom of the line ram for my brother's mini and it didnt work at all. it has to do with the quality of the RAM i think. large name companies hold their ram to higher specs. whatever they make that ends up falling outside of those specs due to manufacturing issues gets sold for very little to the small name companies. my guess is sometimes these unacceptable lower tollerances work in mac and sometimes they dont. so if someone KNOWS it doesnt work with mac, then dont get it.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I knew that Macs were picky but thought that there was no actual differences, thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.