Does this look like a CPU in need of a repaste?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bunnspecial, Dec 6, 2014.

1. bunnspecial, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I know that the answer is generally "yes" when the service history is unknown, but I haven't dug into my black Macbook enough yet to get to the point where I could repaste the CPU.

Based on the above temperature readings-in particular the dramatic difference between the heatsink temperature and the CPU temperature, I'm wondering if I should take it apart and repaste it sooner rather than later.

I should also add that when I took this snapshot, the fan was running full blast and the computer sounded like it was about to take off.

Attached Files:

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Bloody yanks and your fahrenheit.... For a second there I wondered why the hell the thing hadn't melted yet. :D Jokes aside, depending on the load. If this was while browsing or playing a movie no, its perfectly fine. If its during idle with no major load on the cpu, its bad yeah.

Though, considering the age, I'd repaste it. Its pretty easy to do, at least compared to Powerbooks. <- Now that my friend is a bitch to do.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks. It was while browsing, and seemed to happen(as it always does) when visiting on particular message board(not here) that has a lot of Flash-based advertisements. I'll go ahead and do a repaste as I have a free Saturday afternoon now to do so, and that way I just don't have to worry about it. The last Macbook I did had an overabundance of paste that was hard as a rock, so I'm sure it won't hurt this one.

Your post reminding me that I still have two Powerbooks in need of this treatment also. I've heard that the Aluminum is(relatively) easy, while the Titanium is a nightmare. I have one of each.

Then there's the iBook G3 that needs it also, but I don't really even want to think about that one :). Fortunately, it's not used often or heavily. I think the easiest laptop I've ever done was my G3 Pismo. As one of the RAM modules is mounted on the underside of the CPU card, I had to remove the CPU anyway to upgrade the RAM fully. Once I had it taken apart enough to put the RAM in(which I think only required removing 3 screws) I already had access both to the CPU die and the underside of the heatsink. If only they could all be that way!

4. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Facebook and some new sites are an absolute killer for older Macbooks. Messaging boards and forums are better, but for some the difference is minimal.

Havent opened my Titanium yet, so i cant comment. But I had to pull the motherboard (logicboard) on my Aluminium 1.67. That thing is a pain. But it was worth the work 'cause it did miracles for the temps.

I love the Pismo's. Amazing machines to work on. I used one as my office machine until late 2013. Good 'ol workhorse that thing. Still runs, just with a semi bad backlight.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As usually, Foxconn certainly didn't skimp on the thermal past.

I have it put pack together now, and it seems to overall be running cooler. The heatsink also seems to be tracking a little bit more closely with the CPU die temperature, which I take as a sign that the thermal compound is doing its job.

I'll continue to monitor it, as I understand that Artic Silver 5(what I generally use) needs a few thermal cycles and a couple hundred hours of use to fully "cure." I like what I see so far, however.

Attached Files:

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been using the computer on and off since finishing the repaste this afternoon, and am happy to report that the CPU temperature has only flitted past 160ºF a few times and even that's unusual. It's more typically been running 140-145ºF.

I'd consider that a sign that this was a job that was definitely past due! Plus, it really makes me want to tear into my Powerbooks and get them repasted.