Does this look like water damage?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ziggyonice, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

At my university, I work for an Apple Authorized store and I'm in the process of trying to become a technician... and simply put, I'm a novice! :eek: I need some help determining if this is water damage... any help?

It's a MacBook, 1st generation.
    Is it water damage, or just something heat related?

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1) What is "it"?

2) Your second picture has the air of an "elevator pic" about it. For all I know, the damage I'm seeing could be an artifact of the poor image quality.

3) If you're studying or working under someone, shouldn't you ask them? If you're trying to be a tech, shouldn't you already know?

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Hmm..not sure but it looks like mole is growing on it...?????

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That looks like heat caused. Normal with copper heatpipes.

To be sure, if it's water caused you can usually wipe it or sandpaper it off.

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

It may or may not be water damage. It's hard to tell by the picture due to high compression. Look for corrosion in the surrounding area and on the bottom of the top case assembly.

Remember it's very unprofessional to ask people to help with YOUR work.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

We're here to help people, however that looks like simple copper tarnishing to me, not water damage, id actually have to see it close up to tell for sure though. There are other signs of water damage, the macbooks and pro's have stickers inside that change colour when exposed to liquids. I think other Apple hardware have these too but i cant say for sure as ive never opened an ipod/iphone.

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

White/Black Macbooks and Macbook Pros pre-unibody do not have liquid emersion detectors. Regardless, it's very easy to spot liquid damage because the metal corrodes and stains very easily.

8. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

He's a novice not a pro ;)