Does this Macbook Pro have a fused HD, or can I change it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddie69, Jan 7, 2015.

1. eddie69 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've never had a Mac before, and I'm interested in buying a Macbook, because Apple probably make the best laptops in the world... However, I'm a little confused.

I know there are some models where you can change the HD (voiding the warranty), and some where the HD is "fused" to the motherboard (or something).

I'm thinking of buying THIS:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

BTW, on my current PC, I have about 128 gig for my system partition. I do understand how small it is. But I should be able to install all the software I need.

However, I would like there to be some upgrade potential after the warranty finishes. How can I tell if this mac has the fuesd hard drive type or not?

Any help would be really appreciated. Apple don't seem to advertise the model numbers, so it's really hard to tell what you are buying. I find it really confusing.

Thanks,

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The drive (PCIe) in that MBP is not one that is able to be changed by the average consumer.

If space is a concern, get the next size up SSD (256GB).

3. eddie69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I wanted to buy refurbished, so I don't have the flexibility. Also, I'd want to upgrade the HD in 2 or 3 years time when SSDs are cheaper.

From my understanding, at the moment, you can only change the HD of a late 2012 early 2013 pro retina, and anything after this is not really possible at the moment. Is this correct?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Correct. Apple use a PCIe connected SSD that has a proprietary connection.

Buy the laptop with the correct spec if possible.

At the moment the only option appears to be obtaining an Apple SSD via somewhere unofficial like eBay. OWC might come up with something given time but you'll end up paying a premium over standard SATA type SSD.

5. eddie69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

Yeah, I basically wanted confirmation on this, since I was confused. Now I understand. It's about the proprietary connection. I read something about this before. So I think Samsung make the SSDs for apple, and they are pretty expensive. I'll look into getting it with a larger hard disk.

Thank you all so much!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

At the moment you CAN upgrade, but it has to be through eBay with parts pulled from other machines. Oh, and it's prohibitively expensive to do so.

If you want brand new stuff, you have to get it at purchase.

7. blooperz macrumors 6502

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, that's already been covered.
    rMBPs' SSDs are replaceable, but there are no PCIe based SSDs available other then used ones being pulled from MBPs being sold on ebay. Given that we're in 2015 now and the PCIe based SSDs came out in 2013, I'd say there's less and less chance we'll see one roll out for reasons I'm unaware of

10. eddie69 thread starter macrumors newbie

This has all been super useful in clarifying all the information online.

Thank you all so much.