Does this make more sense for 3G service?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Clint1583, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

Like many of us, I have a smart phone (Verizon DroidX) that I can use as a portable WiFi hot spot. If I was going to get a 3G IPad with "use as you go service", wouldn't it make more sense to go with the ATT IPad so I have the option of using both ATT & Verizon service? I'm I missing something? I only plan to use the 3G when out of town or on vacation.

2. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Just curious why you'd pay extra if you already have Wifi via your Droid? Just get the Wifi iPad, save money on both the device and the data plan you won't have to buy. I basically do the same thing with my iPhone.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Exactly. I have a VZW iPhone and I plan on buying a 64GB WiFi only. If I need internet service for my iPad I turn on the hot spot from my iPhone and pay the $20.

4. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

Some area's I go to don't have Verizon service, I was hoping to use ATT as a backup if I needed it.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

I gotta agree with you on the flexibility. It's a $10 a month insurance policy for the first year of ownership (with added GPS functionality, to boot). I've used the 3G on my iPad frequently and even with the new tethering option, I'd rather have the functionality self-contained on the iPad.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Is there AT&T service in those areas? Most places I have been that have limited service typically have Verizon but not AT&T and not the other way around.