Does this MBP config make sense?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trogas, Apr 23, 2007.

  1. trogas macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2007
    #1
    So I've been convinced that the only thing that's coming out in June will be iPhones, with MBPs later (maybe with Leopard.) I can't wait and it probably won't make too much of a difference anyway (I'm just a snob and want the latest and greatest.)

    I'm buying a MBP this week. It'll be the 15" since I like the portability. So the difference is between the 2.16 and the 2.33. The vid card doesn't make a difference since I don't do any gaming or hardcore graphics anything. I'm thinking it's not worth it to get the 2.33 for $500. So basically I'm looking at getting the base model and then bumping up the RAM to 3 gigs. Does this make sense? Will the processor speed be a huge difference? Is there something I'm missing?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

    Super Macho Man

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    Hollywood, CA
    #2
    Sounds like a good idea to me. The 3GB of RAM will make a bigger overall difference than a bump to 2.33.
     
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #3
    My philosophy is "Upgrade now what you can't upgrade later." RAM is easy to upgrade at any time. Hard drives aren't too bad to upgrade. Processors are tough. Video cards are nearly impossible. I'll always pay for the better video card and processor now and save up for more RAM at a later date. This way you leave yourself with the most room to upgrade.
     
  4. yagran macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Brighton, East Sussex, UK
    #4
    i agree with you grapes.

    but if your sure you will never want to upgrade go for it! but if you don't do anything power intensive then why bother with the 3gb of ram?

    id get 2gb and buy some good software to go with.
     
  5. Helianthus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    #5
    I thought the processors were basically impossible too without the assistance of a robot.

    I'd personally go with the higher model because like grapes911 said, a year down the line, you can't decide to change your videocard or your processor but you could easily upgrade you RAM. Not to mention, the prices are going down so it could be even more affordable in the future.
     
  6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #6
    I remember something about someone replacing a Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo in a Mac Mini. I can't find it though.
     
  7. trogas thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2007
    #7
    Well, I had budgeted to do that direct from the :apple: store ($175 for the extra gig).

    Then I did some research and found 2gigs for $189 on datamemorysystems.com. So I'll go that route.
     
  8. yagran macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Brighton, East Sussex, UK
    #8
    are you sure you dont just wanna buy my mac mini off me? :D see signature - p.s. its less than 90 days old!
     
  9. trogas thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2007
    #9
    Haha, unfortunately I need the laptop for work.

    Thanks for the help everyone!
     
  10. jotadeo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin, EE.UU.
    #10
    Found some 2GB ram listed for less on dealram.com. The cheapest module listed in the compatible section is for $139.35 with shipping and in the same-type-of-memory-that-should-be-compatible-but-officially-isn't section you can find several modules for a little less, but they go as low as $109!!! It's worth a look.
    jdo
     

Share This Page