Does this mean a new Mini is on the way?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by minusten, Sep 16, 2009.

1. minusten macrumors member

Amazon UK is no longer directly selling the 'base' Mini, and when clicking on the 'high end' model it says 'Only 4 left in stock--order soon'. Normally if more stock is expected, it says 'Only 4 left in stock--order soon - more on the way' or something similar. Either way, it looks like Amazon UK will be no longer be selling this version of the Mini. How likely do you think this is because a new model is imminent?

Does anyone know if similar occurrences from the past indicate a new release?
    Some other UK retailers are also no longer even listing the base model.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not really.. Apple may have problems to supply Minis to UK, that's why.

3. minusten thread starter macrumors member

Oh, interesting. Can you elaborate on what sort of problems these may be? Are these problems likely to be exclusive to Amazon UK (or might they also account for other UK retailers de-listing the Mini)?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't know. You can try calling to Amazon and ask

5. minusten thread starter macrumors member

They don't seem to be able to reveal much. Anyone else got any ideas? Maybe they just haven't been selling many. Anyone here bought one from Amazon UK?

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I doubt it, as said above, Amazon UK may just be having some issues on the stock of the Mac Mini.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

8. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

There is a little less than a year until the next mini update.

9. minusten thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by "I know Amazon" SchneiderMan? I'm intrigued.
    They're now down to their last three!

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I would be shocked if a mini refresh was around the corner. Amazon always sell out of stuff, it's usually not an indicator of anything.

11. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I wish it would come soon. I need one, and am almost saved up. I literally need it now. And will probably have to buy it before the new version comes out. Oh well, as long as the current one is fast enough to display 720p or 1080p video on a 720p HDTV without slowdown.

12. California macrumors 68040

California

The 2.26 mini is plenty fast with four gigs of ram...I can't imagine Apple upgrading the Mini this soon.

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Even 2GHz is plenty fast.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Doubt it

Don't think so, maybe they are having problems supplying Mac Minis to the UK, or they are out of stock everywhere so Apple are scrambling to make more to stock up everywhere so it could be a while before they come back in stock on Amazon UK. Happened in new zealand when Leopard came out lol on totally mac.com

Even if a new mini was on the way they would keep making and selling the old ones right up to the release of the new one =)

15. minusten thread starter macrumors member

Buyer's Guide

MacRumors buyer's guide now states: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" regarding the Mini. How reliable is this buyer's guide?

16. stukdog macrumors 6502

A couple things to note:

The high end mini ran out at Amazon.com about a week ago. And over the weekend, the base mini is also not available from Amazon. (Both are available from resellers.)

I'm thinking we'll see a refresh. More specifically, I think we'll see the high end Mac mini a little better distinguished from the base.

But then again, just a thought. All I know is we're having trouble getting minis.

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

18. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I got a mini one week ago. Should I return it before my 2 weeks are up? Not sure what to do.

19. minusten thread starter macrumors member

Which model?

Which model did you get C.S? That may affect people's advice to you.

20. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

stock 799 model (2.0, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD). I also have a MBP, so I won't miss the mini if I have to live without it for a month.

21. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

Well, if you return it will you be out the 10% restocking fee?

It actually looks like only the entry level model has been discontinued. The one you bought is not listed in the announcement, which might mean that it is the new entry level model and that there will be a new model at the price you paid that has some speed improvements.

22. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I would take it back if there is no restocking fee. Your configuration is likely to become similar to the base model, and there will probably be a 'new' high end model, though it may just be 2.26/2/320 which you can buy now, albeit for more...

I think this could be because 2 GB of RAM is better for Snow Leopard and as the mini will be shipping with this OS now, it could be a good idea to ensure everyone has the extra memory.

23. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I've been reading up on Intel Clarkdale and would think that Apple would stick a Core i3 Clarkdale in the Mini come December (or a cheap Arrandale in January). I'm not sure if they'd update it now and then, or just then. If they don't stick a Westfield proc in the mini, I'm going to build me a Hackintosh.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Clarkdale is 73W desktop CPU....

And Arrandale is coming before it likely, Arrandale in Q4 '09 and Clarkdale in early 2010

25. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

True, but that's 73W with an integrated graphics processor. From what I've seen, that should allow a user to run a fanless system. I'm sure (I sure hope) Apple will be all over that. Apple could shrink the mini even further.