Does this mean my HD broken? Help please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pixyia, Jun 23, 2009.

1. pixyia macrumors newbie

My macbook get problem days ago, it remains log in page ( the page with apple and spining logo) forever. I tried use Leopard disk to reinstall, machine doesnt read; I tried single user mode, it says couldnt find file.
    Then I sent my machine to Apple Authorized Repair Shop, they did free test for me. Here is the info they emailed me today

- unit chimes and boots to desktop
    - ran disk utiltiy
    - drive fails verification
    - replace hard drive
    - ran apple service diagnostic
    - unit passes testing

So I assume this means my HD get folked up? Since the repair center try to rip me off, ( yes, they try to sell me a 250G HD for $250 and ask another $150 for data restore service, :mad: )

I am just thinking if I can confirm I can get my machine fixed by getting a new HD, I can just get one from ebay. Can anyone recommend me one? I am thinking abt a Seagate - Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS, does it compactable with macbook?

http://www.onsale.com/ttsvr/p/47505...OM&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=23-44249104-2

Please help me out, thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro, and not a MacBook Air (the forum this thread is posted in), then yes, this drive would work.

I have the exact same drive in my Unibody MacBook Pro (15-inch).

3. pixyia thread starter macrumors newbie

thx so much, I just noticed, this is for macbook air.

then I will get such a HD then :)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I hope you mean the forum by "this is for macbook air", as the MacBook Air (MBA) doesn't contain a 2.5" drive like the one you linked to, but a 1.8" HDD or SSD, like in the bigger iPods.

5. pixyia thread starter macrumors newbie

:)  I dont have a macbook air, I have a MBA only, I am thinking to get a 13" MBP later, but I dont too much like the black keyboard, is there any chance to get a white keyboard to replace the original one?

I was told air use 1.8" HD, less provider and more expensive to upgrade, it is one reason I didnt buy it (I like the look a lot though).

Do u think my macbook sounds like HD broken and I can get it fixed by get a new HD?

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You don't have a MacBook Air but you have a MBA... dude, those two are the same thing lol.

Plus the 1.8" hard drive is rare to find, plus you need the correct connector. The biggest is only 120GB currently and thats with a SATA connection. For ATA connection, only 80GB and maybe theres a 120GB Im not enitrely sure

7. pixyia thread starter macrumors newbie

i meant I have a Macbook only, not MBA >< sorry for the missleading, I post the thread to the wrong forum.

Just want to ensure it is the HD problem, then I can get my macbook back from the repair center, they are too expensive. ( $250 for a 250G SATA 2.5" HD, no way, I can do it myself and I dont need their $150 data restore service neither)

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well restoration services can get pricey. If you're not too worried about your data then it absolutely makes no sense to pay the AASP $250 for a SATA HDD when you can get a 500GB HDD for less than $100.