Does this mean my HD failed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by c23roo, Jan 1, 2010.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

Setup: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core, running Leopard (10.5.8), Had a problem with one of my backup HDs. I have an external 2 TB Western Digital drive that has been solely used for Time Machine backups.

It recently failed to backup so when I ran Disk Utility it gave me the following message:

Verifying volume “Time Machine Backups”
    Invalid sibling link
    The volume Time Machine Backups needs to be repaired.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Someone in the Apple forums suggested DiskWarrior might help, but the drive is formatted as OS extended (case-sensitive, journaled) so I don't think DW can help me.

I have multiple sources of backups (on- and off-site) so I don't necessarily need the data off this particular drive.

Help?
    Thanks!

- c

2. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

... second question

Wondering if it's worth trying to erase the HD and start over? Does this error message sound like a fatal one? I don't know if there's maybe another diagnostic I can run that's out there. Western Digital seems to have one but it's Windows based - don't see how that helps me...

Anyone?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

From this page, DiskWarrior 4: System Requirements:

DiskWarrior 4 supports any locally connected Mac OS Standard (HFS) or Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) disk including RAID volumes, journaled disks, case-sensitive disks, FileVaults, Time Machine backups and iPods.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have multiple sources of backups (on- and off-site) so I don't necessarily need the data off this particular drive."

If you're getting indications that the drive's directory is corrupted, and you DON'T absolutely need the data that's currently on the drive, why not just re-initialize it and "start fresh"?

Run Time Machine and you will have another, fresh backup. No, you won't have "past backups", but they're archived somewhere else, right?

I don't quite understand the need for "past backups", anyway (notwithstanding certain situations where folks must maintain a "version history" of their data, but few need to). For me, a "backup" is a representation of what's on my primary drive RIGHT NOW. For older things that I want to keep, but not on my primary drive, that's what an _archive_ is for. And of course one also maintains a backup of one's archive.

Suggestion:
    Do you maintain a BOOTABLE backup as well as a Time Machine backup? If not, you ought to consider having one.

I'd suggest that you:
    1. Re-initialize the problem drive
    2. Get ahold of CarbonCopyCloner (free)
    3. Do a CCC "dupe" to the drive, which will give you an exact duplicate of the primary drive, Finder-readable, and BOOTABLE.

5. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Update - and thanks!

Thanks for the post -

I did finally (after ensuring my other backups were solid) go ahead and wipe the drive and start over (DiskWarrior), and so far, so good.

Undortunately, I do find it useful to have TimeMachine-like backups - I do a bunch of writing/editing - text mostly; but soon video - and being able to access previous versions of work I've done has saved me in the past.

- c