Does this mean no new iPad this Spring 2013?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leukotriene, Oct 16, 2012.

1. leukotriene macrumors regular

What do you guys think? If the iPad is updated this month, could that mean no new iPad (4th gen) in Spring? I might go into serious withdrawal. ;)

Reminds me of how the CDMA iPhone 4 seemed to "push back" the iPhone 4S until October. If Apple moves to a release-everything-in-the-fall kind of schedule, that seems like putting all your eggs in one basket in terms of quarterly financials, no? It'd exacerbate the problem of having one good quarter and then leaving all the other quarters dry.

Thoughts?

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think it's very possible.

http://www.cultofmac.com/196197/apple-reportedly-tells-suppliers-to-prepare-for-next-gen-ipad-in-mid-2013-rumor/

3. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I'd say it depends on what the update is. If it's a minor revision (say, Lightning port, maybe a 32nm A5X and that's it) then it's not enough to make a call one way or the other. If it's a full-blown step (A6 f'instance) then it becomes slightly more likely but, again, still not really enough info.

4. leukotriene thread starter macrumors regular

Wow good timing, that was posted JUST after I posed my question.

I could get on board with a Summer release of the iPad 4th gen. If it gives them more time to refine it and make it thinner/lighter, I'm happy.

Plus, financially it relieves that dead period in the quarter before the new iPhone launch. Spring revenues will still be riding high off of iPhone 5, iPad mini, and Chinese new year, and then BAM new iPad in Summer. Sounds like masterful timing by Tim Cook to me :)

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Spring iPad releases gives Apple a good balance in their release schedule so I see this as a one-time product introduction to capture the holidays. Spring should still bring the iPad 4 and maybe even an iPad Mini update with retina (crossed fingers).

6. leukotriene thread starter macrumors regular

Dude you are dreaming on the updated iPad mini with retina :)

Too soon.

7. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I don't think the big iPads will be updated this month.