Does this Sedna card work in 2009 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, May 26, 2017.

1. Loa macrumors 65832

Loa

2. William_si macrumors regular

William_si

Marvell 88SE9230 is bootable, yes, but you are not likely to be able to access the RAID configuration BIOS so need to config this once before somewhere else.

The card is also only PCIe 2.0 x2, limiting to 10Gbit total which means a RAID0 of 2+ or a RAID1/10 of 4 SSDs will be unable to get full speed (12Gbit+).

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65832

Loa

Thanks. I'm not looking to use RAID. If my plan works, I'd get a 480GB hyperx predator in one m.2 slot and use the 2 sata ports to connect my two sata 3 SSDs.

Do you think I could get most of the speed from the hyperx (roughly 1GB/s), as well as using my sata3 SSDs at their max speed (roughly 500MB/s)?

I'm not saying that I want all 3 at max speed at the same time, but I'd like to know if the card could drive these drives at their top speed.

Thanks

4. William_si macrumors regular

William_si

The HyperX is a M2 M key PCIe SSD and does not work in this adapter.

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65832

Loa

Damn...

It seems that since we've move past sata3, the connectors have become a ****ing hassle. One name per connector/protocol. Doesn't seem much to ask.

Thanks for the info anyway!

6. Loa thread starter macrumors 65832

Loa

New question, given that you seem to know a lot about these devices. Are there any adaptors/cards I could put in my 2009 mac pro that would let me install a predator and give me a couple of sata3 internal ports?

Thanks

7. William_si macrumors regular

William_si