Does this seller and listing look legit? Please help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zeneph, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Zeneph macrumors newbie

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The whole pay for university thing doesn't make sense. Umm, a bit of concern since picture number one is of the older MacBook Pro's. Not only the non-unibodies, but that's the first generation power charger and they don't ship with remotes anymore.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, the part that scares me is they say they bought these laptops at wholesale cost but need to pay for university fees. I know of nobody that gets wholesale prices on anything without being in a valid distribution, and how many students are valid distributors?

4. macjay macrumors 6502

The last two MBP buyers got refunds for some reason (see the seller's feedback).

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I'd say no, and that it's all in the feedback:

The account stands unused since 2007, when the account purchased one item. All of a sudden it kicks back into high use starting the beginning of July 09, when the seller buys a lot of $0.99 digital wallpaper to boost his feedback score. He then "sells" three items, all on the same day: one iphone, and two MBP's. Both buyers state in the feedback that neither one has received the computer, and that they were allowed to "cancel" their orders. And then left good feedback. And the one iphone is "sold" to a new user with no feedback at all other than the iphone transaction.

So you've got a seller who has promptly paid for ~$15 worth of wallpaper, has virtually no seller feedback thats worth anything, and an established history of two weeks = scam. I'd be very surprised if it was anything else.

6. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

Don't take the risk of getting scammed or an older MBP

7. Zeneph thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

I think he may be giving you an older macbook pro not the alu one advertised. That is why the last few buyers have requested refunds. Also has anyone noticed this
    "Laptops purchased between July 21-28 will be shipped out on Jule 29th!"

unless Jule is a month, you aint getting it :p.

Paypal allow up to 60 days i think for you to claim a refund.

9. pnyc macrumors 6502

Seams iffy. The listing is a little "sloppy" and the feedback for the seller although positive is a little inconclusive due to refunds. Also the week to two weeks wait for the ship out seams kind of strange. You can try contacting the two refunded buyers to see what happened with their purchases i.e. why they got refunds instead of the product.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get out and don't pay...The picture alone is enough for PayPal to give you your money back.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i like it when they say new SEALED in box and then show you an OPEN box.

you will most likely get an old MBP because the only original pic is the open box with the old MBP. the other pic is stock copied from the web.

i would back out of the deal unless you want the old MBP (because its matte screen or such).

12. boston44 macrumors 6502

Such a vague listing, the old MBP picture is enough to make me pass..

13. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I'd say go for it. The price difference in CA may be just enough for him to make a profit and still be legit. I suspect that the refunds in his feedback are from buyers that cannot wait (these distributors often list items before they have it in hand; i once had to wait a month for a large appliance to be delivered, but the seller made it clear in the posting). This seller has set a clear delivery date, and that's a sign that he actually has the computers on hand (or knows exactly when he'll receive it).
    I got my new unibody macbook for $920 (when it retailed for $1299) from a Canadian distributor, I had to wait 5 days before it was shipped, but the seller made it clear in the posting.
    This is not to mention that the actual price is $1800-$144 (8% M$ Bing cashback)=$1656
    I'm pretty experienced with eBay mac purchases, and I'd personally buy from this seller

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Since you already paid for it, just go through with it. Your purchase should be covered in full with Paypal, so if there are any problems you can just make a claim.
    Make a claim if he doesn't ship out within a week.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

extremely limited feedback, and most of it was for him as a buyer not as a seller.....and he's selling for a huge discount......risky :eek:

16. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

little late in asking us, should have asked BEFORE the purchase.
    Good Luck, I wouldn't hold my breath.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

I just find it funny that the OP asked for help after he paid for it. Wouldn't it have been more logical to ask first?

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It seems half the time people ask before, the other half is after...

19. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Another thing to notice...

Is the timing between the feedback posts on the iPhone purchase:

Left by Buyer

Amazing ebayer! Great communication and awesome deal, worth the wait!! Buyer:
    atomic482 ( 1 )
    Jul-07-09 14:43
    Brand New UNLOCKED Apple iPhone 3GS (#130317380608) US $750.00 View Item

Left by Seller

Great Ebayer! Fast Payment and Easy Transaction!! Thankss Seller:
    freepayer22 ( 19 [Feedback score is 10 to 49] )
    Jul-07-09 14:45
    -- (#130317380608) -- View Item

Within 2 minutes of each other... A little fishy.

20. Zeneph thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to ask for a refund and got it within a minute-nice guy but decided to go with a new 17" 2.8 model for $2100 from a more reliable seller.

21. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LMAO too true. Asking for advice on whether or not to do something... after you've already done it! This = FAIL.

At least it sounds like an honest seller if he indeed gave a prompt refund.