Does this sound like a good idea?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nighthawk67, Feb 6, 2017.

1. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

Some background: I am a 22 year old male and my girlfriend is 20 years old and we have been dating for 5 years and we went to high school together and now we are both commuting to colleges that are close by. She graduates with a degree in dental hygiene in May of this year and I graduate in December with a degree in Middle childhood Math&Social Studies education. I am 1 semester behind in school so I will be student teaching this coming fall. We have both lived at home through our time in college to save money and we are both just eager to get out of our parents houses now.

So we have been given a very unique opportunity and I'm just looking for some peoples opinions..

My mother works with a 65 year old woman who is moving across the country to marry someone she has known for quite some time and she is going to live with him from September 2017 through January 2019, when he retires they want to move back and live in her same house. So she is looking for someone to do some glorified house sitting during that time, she says all we would have to pay is utilities for what we use and she estimated about $600/month for this. The house is a 3 bedroom ranch with a finished basement and is in a very nice neighborhood about 30 min from mine and my girlfriends hometown. She is going to leave all her furniture and appliances and that sort of stuff so we wouldn't have to buy any of that. She has already verbally agreed to pay for anything that breaks like a washer/dryer, garage door, or dishwasher given it isn't purposely destroyed by us obviously lol. This sort of situation is unique and I can't really find stories of it on the internet anywhere, but it sort of reminds me of like renting a condo at the beach or something where someone else owns all the stuff inside, but you're just renting it out for the week, but in our case it's a little over a year. I think it sounds like a good idea for me and my girlfriend to get our first place together and get our feet wet to see if we like living with each other because we have both never lived outside of our parents houses. Just wondering if other people think this a good idea or is it too good to be true? To me it sounds like a very cheap way to experience living on our own for a while, while we both look for permanent jobs in our career field and see where we want to find a permanent home.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What you've described is basically renting a furnished apartment. This is ubiquitous in the UK, though I can't speak for how it is across the pond.

I say go for it.

3. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Sounds pretty nice actually but I would be very specific in mocking up a lease with particulars to the items inside, condition, and parameters to the agreement.

I understand she said it verbally but having something in writing is very important in this situation especially if god forbid something catastrophic happens such as a leak, weather, who knows.

4. nighthawk67 thread starter macrumors regular

nighthawk67

Yes I very much intend to have everything written into a contract for both the owner of the home protection and ours!

5. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Also, I would look into renter's insurance or something of the like in this scenario as I assume you will be bringing some of your own stuff and also protecting you from damage of theirs maybe.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've been there, both sides of this issue. Here's my advice:

1. Get a lease. Get it all written down. You could find yourself out of a place to live on a moment's notice if the old lady decides to move home early or sell the house.

2. Don't move in with your girlfriend. I've done it both ways (lived together before marriage and not lived together before marriage), and I don't recommend moving in together.

7. nighthawk67 thread starter macrumors regular

nighthawk67

Thanks for the advice! But I don't think I will be following #2, just a personal preference. I need to hear the story behind #2

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When you move in together, it's a commitment. If you start to have some difficulty, or if you want to take a break to evaluate how you feel about the relationship, you can't, because you're stuck. You live together. You can't easily walk away, for a day, a week, or whatever. My first wife and I lived together, and there were several times I wondered if I was starting to have some misgivings about the relationship, but by that time we were in an apartment together. She gave up her place to live with me. Where was she going to go? Where would I have gone? We had crossed a proverbial point of no return. I might never have married her if we had separate apartments.

When my current wife and I were going to get married, we kept separate apartments up until the day we got back from the honeymoon. In the back of your mind, you can think of it as a safety net of sorts - if things start to go sour, or even if you just want a day or two to think things over, you have a place to go. You're not dependent on the other person, and they aren't dependent on you. It's much less pressure. You can make the break if you need to without worrying about the logistics.

9. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Definitely a written lease or you'll find yourselves on Judge Judy!

Move in with your girlfriend. If it turns out you can't live together you can always move back home.

11. nighthawk67 thread starter macrumors regular

nighthawk67

Well that is a little high, but I figure since it comes with cable/internet/phone too it's still not a bad deal. $600 covers everything.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd have agree about the lease. Don't have any form of protection without it, but otherwise grab it. Basic apartments are going to cost you a lot more money and without the ability to bail if it doesn't work out. I wish you both well.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Disagree with number 2. Living together or separate are obviously two completely different things. You can know someone for years, but if you don't live with them, there will always be things you don't know. I'd rather know those things before making a permanent commitment.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    I thought the same thing. Our monthly utilities are usually under $500, and that includes our cell phone bill and alarm monitoring.