Does this sound like a graphics card issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMJS, Aug 12, 2014.

1. MrMJS macrumors member

iMac completely froze up. It had about 100 yellow dots scattered randomly across the screen.

I rebooted and then upon start up there were about 6 to 10 yellow vertical line spaced evenly across the screen. (iMac then froze)

I then restarted in safe mode seem to fix the problem, but upon normal boot the issue returned. The iMac was very hot (more then normal). Repair center said all the fans working properly and he suspected it was a graphic card issue.

It's a 2009 iMac with i5

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yup, run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode 2-3 times back to back, if an error code appears that confirms the machine has some type of hardware issue that needs to be resolved.

3. jlabute macrumors regular

jlabute

could be

I am from the PC world. Sounds like a video card issue, bus arbitration issue, or driver issue. If you have all the latest 'drivers', and it is not a heat problem. Perhaps it is the card.

4. MrMJS, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

MrMJS thread starter macrumors member

The machine was really hot. New gfx card is $300 but the computer is 6 years old. The tech said all the fans were working (3 total) but the heat has to be coming from somewhere.

Also, they said the power supply was buzzing.

5. MrMJS thread starter macrumors member

Put the iMac back together. Anyone seen this before? Look like gfx card issue?

Attached Files: