Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I had my MBP up on ebay as Australia only. The guy asked me to change it as he was in Indonesia but his ebay was that he was from the UK. Has 72 good feedback. Won the item, paid the money on paypal and now the money is being investigated and his name is entirely different to what he wanted it sent to in Indonesia. Does this sound like a scam?

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
I had my MBP up on ebay as Australia only. The guy asked me to change it as he was in Indonesia but his ebay was that he was from the UK. Has 72 good feedback. Won the item, paid the money on paypal and now the money is being investigated and his name is entirely different to what he wanted it sent to in Indonesia. Does this sound like a scam?

I've had similar things happen. Usually turns out their account got stolen and used to purchase something. Thats why I ditched eBay and PayPayl!

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
It would worry me. There are a few possibilities.

1) He has hi-jacked someone's PayPal.
2) He will claim his own PayPal was hi-jacked, get the charge reversed, but only after he has your computer.
3) It is legit, but like I said it would worry me.

Rather than eBay I would try to sell it on the Aussie equivalent of CraigsList (USA) or trademe (NZ). Face-to-face with cash.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Given your description, there's definitely something up with the guy, yeah.

Be careful.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I call scam on this. Not that foreign people are untrustworthy, but I've found that 99% of the time when someone tries to buy an item off ebay and says can you post to a country like Indonesia etc, then it's a scam.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I call scam on this. Not that foreign people are untrustworthy, but I've found that 99% of the time when someone tries to buy an item off ebay and says can you post to a country like Indonesia etc, then it's a scam.
I would tend to agree with this as well.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Now I'm even more convinced. I asked if he could answer to paypal so they could resolve the claim and he tried to put ANOTHER 2000 into my account under someone elses name!

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Sounds like a scam. I won't send to anywhere else than what is registered on eBay/PayPal and has a verified account. I always worry about chargebacks, especially when it's a lot of money to loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.