Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
found a powerbook on craigslist for pretty cheap. but this sounded a little wierd to me. what do you guys think?
this is the email i got back from him after saying i was interested.

My name is _________ and I live in Plano, Texas .The item is new with 12 months warranty(with all standard accessories ) . It is an unwanted gift, bought for my birthday and I want to sell it asap!
Here is how I want to go about delivery and payment for the product which will be through Chronopost and will also give you the chance to inspect the product before I receive the payment for it.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
A. First you have to send me your shipping information (your name and address).
1. After I have received your shipping info, I'll go to a Chronopost Location and I will leave the
product onto your name and address as the intended receiver.
2. Chronopost will check it to see that the unit was placed with all the papers and to see that is legal.
B. You will receive a notification from Chronopost as a confirmation that the product is in their custody and also, that the product has been tested.
1.Chronopost will send you an invoice, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the product to your door step.
2. After you will receive the product and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct Chronopost to release the payment information to me, so I can collect my money.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the product, you will return the product to Chronopost with no expenses.
I will pay for the shipping and you for fee for the transferred amount .
Let me know if we can do this!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Scam.
Search for Paysafe.com here for the same thing.

IF this follows true to the dozens of other similar approaches:

You supposedly deal with a middleman who guarantees delivery to you and on;y "releases" the money when you are satisfied.
But the trusted middleman is a phony, you'll get an official looking invoice, you'll send in your money, and they will disappear off the face of the earth. You'll never see the goods.

Chronopost is a legitimate French-based delivery company, but you'll find that they don't offer escrow services like this seller is describing, and the correspondence you'll receive will be forged.

The rule is, if the seller suggests to use an escrow service, YOU get to pick the service.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
yep. i haven't got much experience in the area, but when they give you instructions on how to pay them, they have set it up to scam you. Maybe get him to ship it to your workplace, and if it arrives, pay him via PayPal or something.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Got this EXACT same email as well. Guy is in Texas, although he is advertising something in Seattle. Was a Powerbook g4 17" for 550.

Emailed him yesterday asking for a address to look at it, as well as what warranty it was under that he mentioned. Today I got back a message just like that.

My response was just two letters F and U.

How do people fall for this kind of thing?

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
When the description and general is so generic (e.g. repeatedly calling the item, "the product"), it's is a pretty good clue. I bet if you do google search, you'll find the same ads for goods.

Was it that likely someone got him 17" PB G4 for his birthday in any case?

How do people fall for this kind of thing?
Same reason as they fall for the 419 scams, greed

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
CanadaRAM is right... read about paysafe.com here and elsewhere on the net. Appears to be nothing but a scam. You're just lucky you came here and asked, others have been caught into it... :(

quackup

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2005
Arkansas
Same scam found on Arkansas craiglist listing...

Here's the text from emails sent after I inquired...

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 11 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until June 2010 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Amy​

Here's the next email...

Hello

I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.
The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.

http://www.expressfreight-dhl.co.uk/en_uk/webship.high.html

Let me know

Amy​

Beware. The person's email is amy_1979.28@hotmail.com.

This was for a black Macbook Core 2 Duo. Priced at $380.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Hello

The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.

Let me know

Amy​

This is a scam. The domain in the link does not belong to DHL. The registrant address is an apartment building in Chicago. ALWAYS pay attention to web URLs, both in links and when you're browsing. There are thousands of sites spoofing real sites. Be sure to check everything!

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Tell them: I have a friend in Plano, TX and he's willing to meet you at the Apple store where the people at the Genius Bar will verify that it's working fine and it's legit. if it checks out, my friend will pay you on the spot and take the laptop.

I'm sure you'll never hear back from them.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Tell them: I have a friend in Plano, TX and he's willing to meet you at the Apple store where the people at the Genius Bar will verify that it's working fine and it's legit. if it checks out, my friend will pay you on the spot and take the laptop.

I'm sure you'll never hear back from them.

Love it! What a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of guitars for sale on the local craigslist and the scammers are out there! If they ever learn spelling and grammar we are in trouble! :)
Morod

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Love it! What a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of guitars for sale on the local craigslist and the scammers are out there! If they ever learn spelling and grammar we are in trouble! :)
Morod

Well hurting from needing you next hit of crack or meth doesn't make it any easier.

Though a Gilbert woman just got nailed.

Seems she liquidated stolen merchandise with 4500 eBay transactions in 9 months.

Wow, makes you wonder about the power sellers. :p

tjjt44

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Yes, This is a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found this website after i got scammed by these people. they took my money and never sent the macbook. Is there something I can do?:confused::(:(

tjjt44

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
She got me too!!!

Beware her new email address is amy.s.dreams@hotmail.com

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 11 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until June 2010 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Amy​

Here's the next email...

Hello

I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.

Let me know

Amy​

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, of course it does. If it sounds too good to be true, don't believe it, because it is not and cannot be true.

Instead, buy from a reputable outlet, (or an Apple store). That way, you are protected by Apple warranties, and legal rights, none of which apply to eBay and similar organisations.

Cheers

gfo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys,
I live in france and got the same e-mail:

"Bonjour, je suis Alejandro,

Tout d'abord, je tiens à remercier le contact!
Je suis très heureux que vous êtes intéressé par mon produit!
Le produit est encore disponible et il est probablement une bonne affaire vu le prix. 540 € toutes taxes comprises.
Jamais tombé, humide ou maltraitée de quelque façon. Inclure tous les emballages et accessoires d'origine. Klik Hier For More Pictures-http://img230.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=84993408.jpg
J'ai déménagé en Angleterre, parce que ma sœur vit à Londres.
Voulez-vous vendre mon produit parce que ma soeur a besoin d'argent pour le collège.
Eh bien je voudrais vous proposons d'utiliser une société qui se chargera de la transaction.

1...Chronopost Société ... est sans danger pour le vendeur et l'acheteur.

Voici ma méthode offre:
A. D'abord vous devez me faire parvenir vos informations d'expédition (votre nom et adresse).
1. Après avoir reçu vos informations de livraison, je vais aller à un endroit Chronopost et je vais laisser le produit sur votre nom et adresse que le destinataire prévu.
B. Chronopost va vérifier pour voir que l'appareil a été placé avec tous les papiers et de voir qui est légal.
2. Vous recevrez une notification de Chronopost comme une confirmation que le produit est sous leur garde et aussi, que le produit a été testé.
C. Chronopost vérifier le transfert d'argent, et si tout est en ordre, sera de livrer le produit à votre porte.
S'IL VOUS PLAÎT LIRE: Très important!
-Le paiement ne me rejoindre après avoir reçu et tester le point.
-Les détails du paiement restera avec la société jusqu'à ce que vous confirmer que tout est OK et que vous voulez le garder.
D. Si pour une raison quelconque, vous ne serez pas satisfait du produit, vous retournez le produit à Chronopost sans frais.
Recevoir le produit en 2 jours

Detaills expédition comme ceci:

Nom de famille:
Prénom:
Adresse:
Ville/Etat:
Code postal:
Pays:

J'attends votre réponse.

Merci Beaucoup

MacBook Pro 13 2.53GHz PLUS EXTRAS

dernière version sur le site Apple. Seulement 2 mos vieux. PLUS Logitech V450 pull souris sans fil et comprend des accessoires d'origine (disques d'installation, câbles) et la boîte.
J'ai également installé Snow Leopard, iLife 09 et MS Office 08Specs: 2,53 GHz, 4 Go de RAM, 250HD, SD,
7 heures d'autonomie de la batterie. Parfait état. Garantie Octobre til 2010."

At first I thought it was a great business, but then I start to look on the internet,
and saw the following announce on the chronopost site: "Accueil > Fraude

Mise en garde contre des tentatives d'escroqueries

Chronopost vous alerte de l'utilisation frauduleuse de son nom et de sa marque.
Ces escroqueries de plus en plus nombreuses proviennent de faux sites internet ou de courriers électroniques illicites, qui tentent d'usurper l'identité de Chronopost, afin par exemple de vous convaincre d'envoyer de l'argent, de faire un virement, de laisser ses coordonnées bancaires avant livraison d'une marchandise.

Sachez que Chronopost n'envoie jamais de courrier électronique pour demander un paiement avant livraison.
Pour vous protéger, Chronopost vous recommande de ne jamais répondre à ce type de sollicitations frauduleuses."

Gosh, I almost send him moneyy!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi guys,
I live in france and got the same e-mail:
Gosh, I almost send him moneyy!!!

This is a 2 year old thread, and that scam is well documented. Just Google a section of the text and you'll find hundreds of references to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.