Does this sound like average battery drain?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hitman0304, Jun 13, 2015.

1. hitman0304, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

hitman0304 macrumors member

Received my 38mm sport band yesterday. Been loving it! Everything except the battery so far. Does all of this sound like normal drain?

Woke up at 10AM today, went for a 20 minute run. Battery drained from 100% to 89%. I figured that's ok, had the heart rate monitor on so I expected some drain. Took the watch off when I got back home while I showered. During my quick 5 minute shower it went from 89% to 87%. Thought that was a little strange.

It's now just after 12 noon and the watch is down to 70%. Granted I'm still using it heavily because it's brand new, but not constantly. I made a minute phone call from the watch and it dropped from 73% to 70%. Is that normal? Does the battery improve after a few charges? I let it drain down to 0 last night before charging as well.

I'm loving the watch so far, but if the quick battery doesn't even get through the day I may have to second guess it...but I really like it and don't want to return! haha Any insight fellow watch users?

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Doesn't sound normal to me but I also have the 42mm. I wear mine at night and after sleeping 7-8 hours, the battery goes from 100% to 94%. A one hour activity (other) drains about 10% and two hours of golfing with activity (other) was draining about 15-20%. The more my screen is on, the more it drains faster... more than anything for me, it is the screen on / playing with it...

I did three plus hours of working out on day - all with the activity app running and I was at 40% by 5pm.

3. meikdunj macrumors member

70% at noon sounds ok. Think the 38mm has a smaller capacity battery. I'm down to about 40% at end of day on 42mm.

4. hitman0304 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm now I'm starting to wonder. I'm going to give it a few days and see if it improves at all. May do a hard reset as I've heard that helps some people. If not may have apple take a look and may swap for the 42mm. I like the smaller size but if this is the 38 battery life I'll have to reconsider.

Currently been off of the charger since 10 AM, now just past 2 PM. A little more than 4 hours gone by and at 60%. And this is with me not having it on for the last hour...

Anyone know if battery is supposed to improve after a few charges?

5. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Too soon to panic I'd say. Mine is a 42mm. Wore it Thursday.would have put it on between 7-8 AM. Wore it for a 1:45 workout at the gym on Thurs. went to be around Midnight. "Thought" I put it on the charger but I have 2 and the one I attached it to wasn't plugged in. Did not notice and just put it on the next morning. Sometime afternoon I got a 10% warning. Panicked and took it back to the charger. This time I noticed the charging symbol did not come up and checked the cable. That was when I found out the cable was not fully plugged in. Fixed that and in just over an hour was good to go.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Mine did "appear" to improve a little after a few charges - though I can't put any solid science behind that observation. There was a time that my watch was draining fast and I restarted it and the problem went away.

7. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

During the first few days I had my 42mm, we actually notice when charging one night that the battery was discharging quite rapidly while on the charger. Like it was at 80-90 something % and then it kept dropping. Forget where we finally pulled it off the charger and did a hard reset. Put it back on the charger and observed that it then started to charge correctly and reached 100%. Still 100% in the a.m. Been fine and within reasonable %s since. Lowest I've been at before recharging for the night was 28%.

8. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

My wife and I had the same issue on day one with our Apple watches. We both did a hard reboot on the watch and the iPhone's, then charged the watch to 100%, from there on, battery life wasn't a real issue anymore.

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Doesn't sound too bad but I would definitely check through your apps too see if one is causing a drain.

10. sxc macrumors member

Also try backing up/ wiping / restoring your iPhone.

11. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

Seems pretty quick of a discharge. Try all the suggestions such as rebooting, resetting etc and give it a few charges over the next few days and see how it fairs...

12. jardinager macrumors member

jardinager

OP, if reboots and resets don't fix, your battery may have issues. I use my 42mm SS all day and still have 70-60% when it goes on the charger at 10 PM. I had to return a 42mm (SBSS) because its battery drained too fast and wouldn't last a day. Apple needs to do better by the watch; qc is seriously lacking.