Does this translate into upgrade eligible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tayloner182, Jul 4, 2008.

1. tayloner182 macrumors member

I'm one of the people who sold their 1st gen iPhone in hopes of being able to upgrade for $199/$299. This is what my AT&T account says regarding upgrading:

"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment."

So I assume that means on July 11th, even though I no longer have my iPhone and have been using an old stand-in phone, that I will be able to purchase the iPhone 3G for $199/$299, correct?

2. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

It means you are not eligible for an upgrade, but do qualify for the discount pricing of $399/$499 with a 2yr agreement.

EDIT: If you bought a first generation iPhone activated with AT&T, yes, you get the $199/$299 pricing option.

3. tayloner182 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, now I'm kind of scared. Positive on me getting the low pricing option? I also sold my girlfriends and my dads iPhones, and they would absolutely KILL me if what I told them this entire time (still being able to get iPhone for lowest price) ended up not being true.

4. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

It means you'll get the $199/$299 price.

This is because you're using an "old stand-in phone." Some people got a subsidized phone from AT&T to hold them over until the iPhone 3G which used up their subsidy for the next two years.

Just find out for sure; call AT&T.

5. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

I wouldn't call AT&T and tell them anything about your account. My buddy's iPhone broke (rain damage) and he's been using a stand in until the new one came out. He called AT&T got transfered twice and they finally told him he did not qualify for the $199/$299 price but could pay the higher discounted price. He argued because he didn't sell his original iPhone (has it to show) and that his standby phone was one that was purchased unlocked (not from AT&T). Still they wouldn't budge and had a screw you attitude. Now he's afraid they noted it in his account. This is why I HATE AT&T.

6. tayloner182 thread starter macrumors member

If I call AT&T, should I not mention I sold my phone, or does it not matter? I could just say I gave it to a relative so I'm currently using a stand-in phone until July 11th. But really, it shouldn't matter at all as long as I'm still paying the iPhone date plan, which I am, correct?

7. tayloner182 thread starter macrumors member

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Umm okay.

Go in on the day the iPhone goes on sale and try to buy it. They'll pull up the exact same screen they'd see if you call them today. You're either eligible or you're not - a phone call won't make them change your eligibility status. As with the above poster, the person in question wasn't eligible to start with the call didn't change the situation.

But I will say that my account information reads a little different than the OP's. Mine reads, "This line is eligible for reduced equipment pricing when you sign up for a new 2-year service agreement. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment."

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Simply call AT&T, give them your account information and ask them if you're eligible for the reduced iPhone price. It's simply an eligibility flag on your account - you are or you aren't.

10. taibien86 macrumors member

don't call at&t. i sold my old iphone as well in hopes of getting a new iphone. i plan on going to the apple store and buying the new 3g saying that i only brought the sim card with me but i bought a 1st gen iphone and left it at home. they'd know that im telling the truth bc i'd have the iphone sim card and when they look my service up, att will should say i do have an iphone.

if you log onto your wireless account, it shows you what phone you're using. change it to iphone before you go to purchase it just in case.

https://www.wireless.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute

this is all hypothetical. i just assume it will work.

11. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

This is what you should see in OLAM.

"This line is eligible for reduced equipment pricing when you sign up for a new 2-year service agreement. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment."

12. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Umm no. Actually my friend's phone is eligible since he bought the original iPhone (unsubsidized) and has never purchased a subsidized phone so there is no reason he should be ineligible. (And yes his payment history is perfect.) He called AT&T before he knew he could check online. The reps told him he couldn't get the $199/299 price but the web site says he's eligible for "discount pricing". He does not know if that means $199/$299 or $299/$299. The reps are clueless. I told him to go into the store on launch and try to talk to them reasonably. By then, they should have proper training and able to answer questions. Right now, there are a lot of threads with people getting different answers when calling AT&T.

13. tayloner182 thread starter macrumors member

So I guess I'm just walking into an AT&T store at 8am on Friday with my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. AWESOME.

14. taibien86 macrumors member

i suggest you go to the apple store. they'll be more helpful with the scenario and their customer service is much better, so if something goes wrong, they'd be more likely to help fix it.

15. newyorksole macrumors 68020

16. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

17. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Highly doubt that because they said that you can just hand it off to someone else prior to buying the iPhone 3G I believe.