Does this warrent a replacement?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airjuggernaut, Mar 12, 2010.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So today I got my MacBook Pro (Unibody) back from it's SECOND repair this week.

The first repair I had was for a minor hinge/flickering issue.

They replaced the Screen and tightened the hinges, so it was all good.

UNTIL, 5 minutes after leaving the store I noticed a HUGE paint/metal chip on the metal casing behind the screen (where the Apple logo is).

I immediately went back to the store and asked them how this happened, and they apologized and offered to fix it. I obliged and sent it in for another 4 days.

So I went back today to pick it up. I examined everything at the store, and everything was in check physically, and the system started up.

Of course, when I get home and I start watching a Youtube video is when I notice that the right-hand speaker is distorted and is not producing sound properly.

I initially passed this off as maybe an issue with the YouTube video, but when I went to iTunes all of my songs sounded the same.

So I went to system prefs and isolated the sound on both speakers, and found that the right speaker is INDEED messed up. Oh great, a THIRD repair!

So now I'm quite furious, this is obviously very ridiculous having to tote myself back and forth between the Apple store and my house for issues that should have never existed in the first place.

It makes me think that the goons that they hire to repair stuff in the back obviously do a very crappy job because I've not only had issues with repairs at this Apple store, but also this other one nearby.

I'm extremely angry because I've had to share a computer for the past week while having to do my school assignments. And now I have to deal with another potential 4 days until my computer is fixed. It has really deterred me from wanting to buy applecare (which for me is set to expire in about 2 weeks). Like what's the point? If I shell out $279 (CDN) for it and just have to deal with sub-par service?

Do you think at this point it is fair to ask for a replacement? I seriously don't want to deal with some more repair crap. I don't have the time, nor the patience to have to deal with another screw up on Apple's part.

I agree had this been small issues over an expansive period of time I wouldn't even have a slight justification, but this has happened SUCCESSIVELY in a span of a week, I'm sure you guys can see where I'm coming from. It's utterly ridiculous and frustrating for them to screw up so many times! GAH :mad:

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

I'm not familiar with the consumer protection laws in your area. However, I am certain that you could locate them online. If your computer has had this many issues (and, most certainly, if it continues to have issues) it likely qualifies as a defective product. There is a good chance you are entitled to a replacement.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course you can ask but there is nothing that can actually warrant it. Replacements are usually given when e.g. logic board has been replaced couple of times and the problem still exists. You've had different issue everytime so I can't promise that you'll get one.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I would take hellhammer's comment one further to say it's unlikely you would get a replacement machine. The problem is ham-fisted technicians, rather than defective hardware.

5. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree that my hardware issues aren't severe, but this service standard is utter crap!

I don't even want the latest or greatest either, if they send me a refurb I'll be more than happy.

I just want my functioning laptop back, without any stupid issues.

I'm sure this can't be ridiculous thing to ask for after having to go through all of these unnecessary repairs.

I'm going to call AppleCare today and explain my situation, hopefully they'll resolve it.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I had a somewhat similar experience about 2 years ago. (With the service, not the computer problem). Long story short, my computer would shut itself off every few minutes. They replaced the logic board 3 times, the graphics card twice, and the bluetooth card once before giving in and replacing the entire machine. If I remember correctly, they said that they generally only give replacement machines if they have to replace the same part 3 times and the original problem persists. (If the original problem is fixed, but the new part introduces a new problem, they may not replace your machine) I was genuinely pissed off because I had been to the Apple store 4 times in 6 days and was assured after every pick up that the problem would go away. (I checked it in store but since the computer had to be on for about 30 minutes I did not wait out the whole time and took it home only to be shown my problem again.)

All that said, back when I had the problems with that computer, they used to show the price of the repairs on all the receipts, and I totaled up all the amounts and found that they had done $2500 of repairs on a $1300 computer before replacing it! I purchased AppleCare soon after out of fear of having to pay that much.

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

And this my friends, is why when I get a new computer I go over it with a fine tooth comb, examine every last detail, and make sure it has no issues before the 14-21-30 day return period expires.

Raise hell with em, man.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree that Apple Care is the first step. It sounds as if they used a hammer to repair the screen!!!:(

Is this an Apple Store or independent Apple Repair place?

Good luck and be polite, but firm that they need to take good care of your. State your case: the days you were without a computer, the number of trips you made, etc.

9. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update for everyone;

I called Apple Saturday morning and talked to a rep. I explained the difficulties I was having at the retail locations, and he recorded my issues on file and suggested I get my repair done by an authorized Apple Service Provider. He also said that I should call Apple Customer Relations and explain my experience. I agreed with this notion, but told him that I would first visit the Apple store and see what they can do.

I go to the Apple Store the same day and ask to speak to the manager. The manager was busy, so I had to speak to the head Genius instead (Coincidentally the same guy who 'repaired' my laptop).

I told him about the new speaker issue, he acknowledged the issue was there and disappeared into the back room for 15 minutes.

He comes out, and tells me that the right speaker is blown out. I then ask him for an explanation as to how it might have happened. At which point he simply says "I don't know. When we did your screen repair, we didn't even touch the area near the speakers. It might be a pre-existing issue." So I kindly explain to him that this issue didn't exist beforehand, and if it did I surely would've noticed it (It's a god damn blown out speaker, it's IMPOSSIBLE not to notice). He continued to be at a loss for an explanation. I kindly just told him that when I leave a laptop in the store's care, and an issue that didn't exist before suddenly appears, the store needs to take responsibility for it.

He continued to defend his 'I don't know' line of reasoning. At which point, I changed the question for as how the scratch may have happened. He said the following, 'sometimes parts from our supplier come in scratched or damaged, It's something that is unfortunately out of our control.' Fantastic, so what he is basically telling me is that the screen lid came in scratched, and the 'Genius' decided to install a damaged part on my laptop anyways. Great way to defend your ****** service Genius!

He offered to repair it again, but I was obviously very angry. I told him that it's ridiculous to have to drive 20 minutes (one-way) each time to come in for a repair that should have never been needed in the first place! He also offered some other options, but they all required me suffer in someway or another for their stupid insolence while doing repairs. He started to order the speaker part for me, but I told him to cancel because I was going to get it done by the provider that lives like 5 minutes away from my house.

I called the provider, and he was extremely nice. He asked me to just email some info, and he'll order the part for me. Once it comes in, he said he would call me to come in and do the repair right on the spot while I wait. Great guy, and nice service. He even sympathized about the experience I had at the Apple store.

I then called Apple Customer Relations this morning and explained my story along with the fresh new material from my Saturday trip. They apologized profusely and said that they would get in contact with the provider and ensure my part gets in A.S.A.P. The rep also told me to call back once my repair is complete to figure out a way that Apple can 'make this right' for me.

I have no idea what Apple is going to do, but I'm happy that my laptop is now going to be repaired by a competent person, and that Apple is going to attempt to make this up to me.

Sorry for the long post! lol

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

AirJuggernaut: Glad you are finally getting looked after. You should not have had to put up with the Genius not looking after you. I think you did the right thing in calling Apple, and talking to customer relations.

If I had one piece of advice, and this is more for the next person in a similar situation and reading this for guidance. When the Genius told you the Manager was busy, you might have told the Genius you'd wait. And ask the Genius every 10 minutes if the Manager was free yet. Also, get one of the sales people to tell you where the Manager was. It's possible the Genius was just trying to cover their back-side, and didn't want you telling their boss what a mess they had made.

The Manager would have had the power to make it right for you on the spot. They may choose not too, but they had the power. Something the Genius does not have. Good Luck with your "make it right" from Apple.

11. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, jeeze. That's actually great advice.

I definitely will keep this in mind for next time :)

12. brendu macrumors 68020

just curious, what apple store was that?

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

A) Thanks.
    B) Lets hope there isn't a next time! But perhaps someone with a similar situation will have an easier time.

You have certainly put up with enough. Did you get your "make it right" offer from Apple yet?

14. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Store Square One (In Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
    I haven't had my speaker replaced yet. The AASP just received the speaker today, so I'm going to go in tomorrow and get it repaired. I'll keep you all posted as to what 'offer' I get.

15. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Good luck getting it fixed. Im on my 4th Repair and the issue still hasn't been fixed on my iMac. I just hope that I can get a replacement soon. :(

16. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the late reply everyone, just got busy with school and stuff.

So I had my repair done by a local AASP, who turned out to be a very nice guy. He did a fantastic job at repairing my MBP quickly and painlessly.

When I called Apple the following day, they offered to give me a $100 credit on their online Apple Store for my troubles.

I accepted it, and felt a lot better.

Although I am still appalled at the service and will never return to the Square One Apple store again, I am glad that Apple cared enough to make amends with their wrongdoing.

So yeah, that's all :)

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice or shared their story.