Does this water sensor indicate water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPLuvr, Aug 1, 2009.

1. iPLuvr macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

I recently bought an Iphone 3GS. The backlight is no longer working at all; however, everything else seems to work. I am suspecting water damage although I never dropped in water. Can you tell me the attached photos show any sign of water damage? My eyes are not very good and I have never seen an exposed water sensor before... Although internet has some pictures, but not very clear.

In addition, how does Genius Bar determine water damage besides the water sensor on dataport and headphone jack?

Furthermore, if it is water damaged, is it true with $200 dollars they would replace your phone?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      416.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      431.9 KB
      Views:
  2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why do you suspect water damage if you've never dropped it in water? Your water sensor looks fine, all nice and white. There are 3 other sensors inside your iPhone, FYI, which the Genius uses to determine water damage.

If it is water damaged, you fall into out of warranty replacement, which is $199.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's obviously never a good thing if the sensors are tripped, the ultimate determination is the internal sensors.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

6. iPLuvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help! And to answer iphone.aggie's question, it's been raining very heavily where I live... and some water did get on my screen, and I haven't read about anyone with broken backlight which and not water damaged.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely keep it out of the rain at all costs. Get a case that can cover the iPhone openings that are accessible to rain or get a ziplock.....

8. samcraig macrumors P6

A cynic would assume the OP painted or altered the sensor to appear white and was asking how good a job he did LOL