Does this Windows commercial get on anyone else's nerves?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Feb 25, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Don't get me wrong I like kids, so thats not the reason I don't like this commercial, but for some reason every time I see this commercial it just annoys me. Possibly because iPhoto has had this features for years, but even so, I just find the commercial irritating. Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtilWL4mnhI

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive never seen that commercial but I just watched the video and what are they advertising!? You can import photos from a digital camera and email them on a PC??;)

Seriously, any photo management program lets you make minor adjustments as shown in that add!
    Photobucket even lets you make "improvements" to pictures.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Not to be racist, but I always have hated commercials and other media that depict Asian children as far superior to American children. I'm not criticizing their study habits, schooling systems, etc., but it just bothers me that supposedly every Asian 4-year-old comes pre-programmed with computer knowledge and superior intellect. :mad:

I'm 14 (freshman) and I just found out during fall class registration (yes I know it's pretty early for registration) I'm number one in my class of 550, but no one seems to care...:(

4. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

There was a commercial this evening and there was a little black boy in it this time, so I don't think they're trying to say that only Asians can work computers.:p I guess they're trying to say that Windows is so easy even a kid could do it :confused: At least it's better than those Jerry Sienfield ads.

5. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i have tried to plug in a digital camera, import,edit, save, and email in windows on my dads pc, and its not nearly as simple as she does! A few steps she is missing.

shes forgetting the whole find the driver for the camera, install the driver,restart the computer, plug in the camera, hear that annoying beeping noise, import your pictures, it will open the folder its in, start to edit the photo, save the photo, try to find the "email photo link" which is impossible to find because there is no file,edit menus anymore.

Then press Email link, opens up outlook. Try to sign up your hotmail account (which is not supported by outlook anymore), Open Internet explorer x out of the 5 pop ups that tell you about auto finish in your browser, Anti virus pops up telling you that you have 41 days of your free trial left. Tell norton that you do not want to scan your computer at this time. Eventually log unto yahoo.com to make a new email address. Create your new email, go back to outlook start adding your new email into the field.

Unfortunitly you dont know a single thing about pop, imap,pop3,proxys,https. So you call your tech friend from across the street over to fix your problem. He finishes his game of world of warcraft, comes over sorts out everything. and ta da 5 hours later you send your silly picture of your self to your family :)

yeah, super simple.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think what MS is trying to say is Windows is for kids.;)

7. eldy macrumors 6502

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

This is not 1995... There are generic drivers for most cameras, so most devices work pretty well out of the box.

The find/file edit menu is still there. In vista you just press alt. Though that is more for backwards computability. Jusst because you are not used to the new UI does not mean it is not there/ broken.

Outlook is not part of office, Windows Mail is. And hotmail is 100% supported (even before they allowed POP again).. They did go premium account only for a little while, but they a couple years ago hotmail worked perfect with windows mail again.

IE sucks, I agree... But it is no where near that bad... Unless you are the type of person who clicks on any thign and every thing... If you are, you deserve every thing you get ;)

Norton is an optional software.. You are not required to use it, or install it (just because a lot of manufacturers install it now does not mean it has to be there).. There are much less intrusive anti virus software out there.

No need to go to yahoo and make an account. Hotmail is supported.... Or you can just use what ever other mail account you have tied to windows mail (Just because you were to lazy to set up a mail account when you installed windows/ got your computer does not mean the rest of the world is)

You dont need to know any thing about pop. Windows mail handles it all just like mac mail.app...

No need to call your tech friend, use google..Or press F1 for help.

Your pictures would have been sent in step one.. If you were not so anti windows ;)

And on that note..... I dont like the commercial. I hate kids..

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's ok, they hate you too. ;)
    That commercial was cute, but they killed it with the "I'm a PC and I'm 4 and a half" line at the end. That was just obnoxious.

10. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

Uploading photos on xp is pretty easy. All i have to do it plug it in and the a window comes up and then press import

Pretty much the same as mac using the stock camera import application

11. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

That advert was cute! .... and I don't think that MS are trying to make any racial comments about how intelligent Asian kids are compared with American kids... that might be reading a bit too much into it....

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

What's amazing is that M$ actually has to make an ad and waste money trying to convince people "it's easy!" to import photos on a PC.

...I mean, shouldn't it already be easy enough to do such a basic task? I'd love to see that kid try to plug in my mouse and spend :45 mins updating drivers, fiddling with settings and restarting a zillion times. :rolleyes:

-
    I don't M$ was trying to make a racial statement so much as use a idea that's common, common, common. Typical of them to use a card (the 'Asian children are smart and cute') that's already overplayed. The ad looked like a video you'd go download at iStockPhoto - that is, bland and forgetful.

13. thefnshow macrumors regular

you mean like those annoying mac ads with justin long that they've been doing for how many years now ?

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

My girlfriend and I think this is just the cutest commercial ever! :D

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

cute kid, I don't know what the point of the commercial is though. 4 year olds are smarter than 50+ year olds now is the only thing I can think they are trying to get across.

16. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

*anything* is better than the smug mac dude commercials.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If Apple had done this ad, people would be tripping over themselves to post how cute it was and how they've been saying for years, why doesnt Apple show their software in ads?

18. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I wasn't remotely that bright at four ... :eek:

See what computers do to kids? They make 'em smart!

19. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

That kid is as cute as can be!

I think point the commercial is trying to make is that Vista makes it so easy to deal with cameras, photos and email that even a four year old can do it.

I think this commercial is actually aimed at grandparent types who are not confident in their computer skills--to give them the confidence that maybe they could email pictures around too. Throw in the idea that their grandchildren might actually email pictures to them, and it probably has them giddy.

(not that i necessarily buy it, but I think that's the intended message)

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, I think that line at the end really made me dislike the whole ad. It would have been great without it.

In addition to the obnoxious aspect, it made me think of Microsoft as an evil branding machine à la Coke or Pepsi. Sure the girl can say the line, but does she even know what it means?

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

22. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

The British version is just as irritating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bruWmMQamg

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Um sorry but that sounds very similar to racist thoughts: Asian, better than other, American.

1. you gotta start thinking - although you may be slightly 30yrs old or +10 - that the world is getting VERY small and its one community! Present world economy is my proof that its a small world; we're all affected.

2. Anytime any 1 person using high end fashion, cars, food, display of riches/wealth, or using technology or other tools to show intelligence; is done someone else of ethnic background will feel the way you did.

3. To counter your thoughts without having you think I'm racist or others .... I'm 36yrs old black male and grew up my childhood in the 70's-80's and every comic/movie/social/community hero I could look at was caucasian (could be any cultural background mind you) and hardly any person of culture - except in February. I lived my entire life in Toronto, Canada so go figure. I bring this up because anyone my age or older would understand (Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Superman - whom I loved very much, Batman, Spiderman : all relay intelligence, coolness, innocence, strength, wealth, the guy that gets the hot girl or THE girl. Not all together but individually you can see these traits in these characters. Name me one successful comic book hero or movie of the 80's or earlier that showed a man/woman of colour or not Caucasian that had any of those qualities and VERY/EVERY bit as successful/strong as the characters I mentioned?? I won't hold my breath.

Sounds like you have other things you should be worried about or thinking about.

PS Don't anybody tell him that a HUGE amount of the US trade deficit is controlled by the asians ;) .

@ Mr. Giver '94, don't take my comments too offensive - thats not my intent. My intent is just to open your eyes to your quick post to something that bothers you - I'm not saying that it shouldn't bother you, just you need to think of why it bothers you and really considering others around you in/out of your life have had to or still live through life of others being upset about the way they simply look.

Its starts with jokes, insults, importance/status the perception of power: feeling of superiority or feeling less superior to others, and finally the common demoninator that "usually" slices it all = wealth.

Cheers and remember its just a commercial. :cool:

24. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I don't mind it, but i don't think the 4 year old market is really booming right now, so they might be aiming at the wrong crowd

25. emmawu macrumors 6502

I find Windoze ads really irritating and really smug. It's truly a sad commentary on a failing operating system.