Does Time Capsule traffic adds up to internet counter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by myemaildw, Aug 6, 2008.

1. myemaildw macrumors regular

Does the Time Capsule traffic adds up to your internet counter? I mean if it does then I would have a huge bill at the end of the month from my internet provider! :eek:

2. 61132 Guest

no, time capsule backup/data traffic to the HD does not affect your ISP. Theoretically you could use the time capsule without ever hooking it up to the internet.

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

No, it does not. There are two kinds of network traffic, intranet, which is you sending stuff on your private network, ie time machine backup data, info from computer a to computer b, and then you have internet, which is you surfing the web, and thus this is what your isp bills you by. You could actually unplug your modem and time machine would still work, it does not depend on the internet.

4. myemaildw thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean router? Is modem and router the same thing?

You know the way you can ssh to your iphone. This is when you get access to iphone flash drive files. Does that add to my internet counter? Or when you connect two macs over router wirelessly? I looked at my internet counter while using ssh to iphone and mac to mac wireless connection and the counter is changing while not using internet at all.
    Thank you

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

No, it usually looks something like this:

>> in from Internet---wall cable---modem---WiFi router --)) device

When two devices (i.e. Time Capsule and Mac) are connected, it looks like this:

Mac --)) Time Capsule ((-- other device

With nothing past the router (modem, cable, internet) involved.

6. RinCa macrumors newbie

Oh yes it can! It depends on how you set the "Check for firmware updates" setting. You can have it ping the Apple servers on a daily, weekly, monthly basis or never.

7. LordGrom macrumors newbie

How to count internet traffic

Could you please advise, how to count internet traffic on Time Capsule.
    I use Time capsule to distribute internet in my small office. I want to check if my ISP provider bills me correct amounts.
    I need to monitor traffic on time capsule. If it is possible?
    Please help.:confused: