Does Time Machine affect performance during incremental back up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rpg51, Jul 17, 2012.

1. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

For you folks that use time machine. Do you notice any degradation of your computing experience when a back up is being made?

If so, is it possible to set TM up so that it only backs up when not using computer?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can always stop the backup if it starts when you're using the machine.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

No.

If you think about it, its only doing file copies, and since its an hourly incremental, generally its not copying many files anyway.

And if a file copy is slowing your system down enough it is an issue, you need a new system :D

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's rare. If you were using a Time Capsule, you could see some degradation of network performance while it's copying, depending on how much stuff is being copied, and if it's having to back up very large files on a slow hard drive, there's a chance you could see some reduced file access speed during the operation, but usually you'll never notice it running.

jW

5. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

I ask because

I once had a back up system on a windows machine in my business and it slowed performance terribly. But it sounds as though this is not an issue with time machine. I'm considering purchasing a Time Capsule and converting the conglomeration of routers I have in my home now to a new network and back up system. My hope is that I will be able to configure a simple network myself and avoid spending money on a tech guy. I'll have one windows machine wired, two MBA machines wireless but also occasionally connected via a wired network connection via a thunderbolt display. Also two printer/scanners on the network, one network ready and one usb. Think I can handle the set up with the Time Capsule?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah, that will be very easy to setup with the Time Capsule. The most difficult part will be to get the Windows computers setup with the printers via the network. Some manufacturers' drivers are a bit difficult if they're not meant to be networkable. But otherwise, the Time Capsule will handle all of what you're wanting :)

7. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Just ordered a Time Capsule

I just ordered a Time Capsule. When it arrives I will disconnect all my existing routers and start from scratch with my home network. Comcast cable modem. PC with wired conection. Two MBAs with wireless connection 90% of the time and wired connection 10% of the time through a Thunderbolt Monitor. One printer/scanner with wired network connection and one with usb connection. Also have an ATT Microcell with wired connection. Two iPhones and one iPad. I'll be back for some help when I run into trouble.

Thanks for all the good input.

8. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Advice re Time Capsule set up

My TC arrived. I'm unsure which of three set up choice to make. The software wants be to decide which of these set up parameters to follow:

1. create a new wireless network,
    2.replace an existing wireless router, or
    3.add the Time Capsule to an existing network.

I have a network now but I want to trash it and start from scratch. So my computers (all but one) have been running on the network - one wired, one wireless. My printer/scanner is attached to the network via ethernet and one printer attached to the wired windows computer via usb.

What do I do? #1 or #2??? What is the difference in the set up process that ensues depending on my choice??

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, considering you want to start from scratch, I'd go with #1, which is probably the easiest, too.

10. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Will I need to do anything to set up second mba

So i am going to run the set up utility on my mba - but I need to connect a second mba wirelessly. Do i have to run the set up utility on each computer attached to the TC network?

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No, just select the wifi network from the menu in the top right corn of your screen. Then in System Preferences add the disk as your Time Machine location.

12. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Ok, and will I be able to get access to files on the other computers on the network access the printer/scanner without running the utility on every computer?

13. rpg51, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Up and running

I have my TC installed and configured. Most issues resolved. Seems to be working well and I am in the middle of initial back up using TM with one of the two MacBook Airs in the house.