Does Time Machine back up *everything*?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applemax, Dec 2, 2009.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

I need to transfer data from one Mac to another via an external hard drive. I'm planning on using Time Machine and the 'Migrate a Mac' tool. Does Time Machine 'clone' the entire Mac?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It doesn't clone your HDD per se, as making the external bootable, it just creates a full copy in one folder with many subfolders resembling the structure of your Mac.

CarbonCopyCloner would be a better choice to really clone your Mac's HDD to an external HDD.

You can also use Target Disk Mode if you can.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I thought I could just make a TM backup of Mac 1 and use Migration Assistant on Mac 2 and recover - does that recover *everything*? It doesn't need to be bootable, by the way - just a one-off data migration.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depending on the size of the backup, it might take longer to backup via TM than to make a clone via CCC.

But if those two Macs are in the same room and both have Firewire (or Gigabit Ethernet), you can skip the copying to an external HDD, and just use Target Disk Mode (or networking them) and the Migration Assistant.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, you can do this. It will be fine.

6. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

That's the issue - one of them is being taken back to the shop and is getting replaced, so they won't be in the same room. CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper look pretty complex, so if TM does the same thing, I'd rather do that! :D

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's okay. I just wanna sell CCC to all the people I encounter, ;)

One last thing: CCC is not complex. You open it, select the source drive, select the target drive, press Clone and enter your password and you are done.
    Then you just have to wait for the copy process to finish.

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

So can anyone confirm if TM does everything? I mean everything from music and photos in iLife to iTunes artwork to which boxes I have ticked in preference panes! :D

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Everything, especially music and photos and all your preferences and other data.
    Be sure to not exclude something in the TM preferences.

10. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Great, thanks for your help! :D

11. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

i just migrated my old mac pro to new mac pro. I just booted off the snow leopard dvd, said to restore from time machine and it worked like a charm.

I even went a step further. I created a RAID 0 with 2 256 gig SSD drives, and used time machine to restore my old mac to new mac.