Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
My HD is dying and apple are going to replace it tomorrow. If I restore from a time machine backup after they give me a new identical drive with a blank OS will my system be in every way like it was before ?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Yes. Time Machine saves all your settings, data and apps.

You won't get caches and temp files copied over; but apart form that, it should all be fine.

fixerman

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
London
My HD is dying and apple are going to replace it tomorrow. If I restore from a time machine backup after they give me a new identical drive with a blank OS will my system be in every way like it was before ?

I have just had my hard drive replaced and I don't know what I would have done without Time Machine. It restored flawlessly. Be prepared for a long wait. Overnight is best!

My new hard drive came with Snow Leopard which was the original OS on my machine. I was advised to update to Mountain Lion, before restoring anything else, as that was the OS on the failed drive.

Good Luck!:)

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks guys. Just in case I have gone belt and braces on this. I have used a USB2 attached drive to make a second time machine backup in addition to the time capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.