Does Time Machine make back ups of Applications as well?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peapody, Jul 21, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just a quick question, that is driving me crazy. I have been all over the net looking for this answer, so I hope someone can help me out.

I want to make a full back up of my internal drive in my MBP applications and all because I do not have all the install disks for the applications. I know carbon copy cloner will do a full bootable clone applications and all, but I was just wondering if the same is possible with time machine. If so, how does one go about backing up applications and everything?

I am about to purchase a LaCie Quadra drive to partition and get it ready for backing up my drive. Now I just have to decide which method: time machine or CCC is better.

Thanks guys in advance! I hope someone out there can answer this for me.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Time Machine backs up everything unless you tell it not to.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^except System, Library and User caches plus external hard drives and the Boot Camp Partition by default ;).

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Thanks for the replies! Kind of makes my headache a little smaller.

So if I wanted to restore my harddrive back to its original state (when I backed i up with time machine of course), I would need to have my OSX install disc and time machine harddrive and use these two on a fresh internal drive correct? Once I do so, bam, I get photoshop, office, remote desktop, all my wonderful programs again without needing the original install disks of those programs?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac