Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactoucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I'm finally getting some network storage organised, and trying to decide whether to get Time Capsule or some other sort of network attached storage...

My question - does Leopard officially support backing up to a network drive other than Time Capsule's? I know there are hacks to get this to work on non-TC drives, but I was curious whether there was native support nowadays?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm finally getting some network storage organised, and trying to decide whether to get Time Capsule or some other sort of network attached storage...

My question - does Leopard officially support backing up to a network drive other than Time Capsule's? I know there are hacks to get this to work on non-TC drives, but I was curious whether there was native support nowadays?

Yes. It claims to support network drives. However current Time Machine software may have issues with network backup via wifi even if you are using a Time Capsule. If you are using TM to backup to a network drive via wifi, I would disable sleep for your Mac. I don't think TM can use any old network drive, ie a Buffalo Linkstation. You will need a an Airport Extreme connected to a usb drive or a Time Capsule to "officially" use Time Machine over the network.

There is 3rd party software like itimemachine and timemachineeditor that offer workarounds for default TM behavior. I don't recommend these.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Only AirDrives (xHDD connected to Apple's own Airport extremes only!)

If you do need to see other network drives... just pop this in the terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

badabing2005

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2006
Only AirDrives (xHDD connected to Apple's own Airport extremes only!)

If you do need to see other network drives... just pop this in the terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

I was looking for thw same thing. Thanks Apple Ink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.