Does Time Machine officially support network drives yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mactoucher, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mactoucher macrumors newbie

I'm finally getting some network storage organised, and trying to decide whether to get Time Capsule or some other sort of network attached storage...

My question - does Leopard officially support backing up to a network drive other than Time Capsule's? I know there are hacks to get this to work on non-TC drives, but I was curious whether there was native support nowadays?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yes. It claims to support network drives. However current Time Machine software may have issues with network backup via wifi even if you are using a Time Capsule. If you are using TM to backup to a network drive via wifi, I would disable sleep for your Mac. I don't think TM can use any old network drive, ie a Buffalo Linkstation. You will need a an Airport Extreme connected to a usb drive or a Time Capsule to "officially" use Time Machine over the network.

There is 3rd party software like itimemachine and timemachineeditor that offer workarounds for default TM behavior. I don't recommend these.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Only AirDrives (xHDD connected to Apple's own Airport extremes only!)

If you do need to see other network drives... just pop this in the terminal

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

4. badabing2005 macrumors newbie

I was looking for thw same thing. Thanks Apple Ink