Does TimeCapsule support all of this?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuamtuem, Oct 8, 2009.

1. tuamtuem macrumors member

I am deciding to buy a TimeCapsule within next week because my Seagate FreeAgent 500 Gb is already full. But I still not sure about its functionality and warranty coverage.

1. How about the file transfer rate in wireless mode(802.11n)?
    2. Can I use the USB port of TimeCapsule with my old Seagate FreeAgent to expand the capacity?
    3. Is there any way to install a bittorrent software on TimeCapsule? like Asus WL-500W
    4. Is it fully support Windows XP?
    5. Can I use it as a repeater? Is this an option provided in Airport utility?
    6. I have just purchased an AppleCare for my MACBook pro but I am not sure about it coverage.

From this link http://store.apple.com/th/product/MA519FE/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Mg&mco=MjE1MzY0OQ

" The AppleCare Protection Plan also covers the following when you use them with your Mac:
    Included accessories such as the power adapter
    - Apple memory (RAM)
    - AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, and Time Capsule
    - MacBook Air SuperDrive (for MacBook Air only) "

According to above information, My new TimeCapsule warranty will be expanded to 2 yrs?

Many thanks, :)

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

1. The USB controller within the Time Capsule is the bottleneck for the speed of the internal disk, not the connection speed of the device connecting to the Time Capsule. You can look up some C|Net reviews of the Time Capsule, and they should have comparisons as well as the speeds of the internal disk.
    2. No. You can connect and share your Seagate FreeAgent, but you can't expand the capacity of the internal drive. You can begin a new backup on your attached Seagate, but it'll be from scratch. The only way I know to expand the capacity is to open the Time Capsule physically and switch out the hard drive.
    3. Not exactly sure. Willing to bet no. If somebody can confirm/deny this?...
    4. I can mount the hard drive and read and write to it with my XP machine, yes. No Time Machine though (obviously).
    5. Yes and yes, although I think this may only work with other AirPort routers. Again, if somebody can confirm this that'd be great.
    6. It will extend your Time Capsule's coverage to the end of your AppleCare term.