Does tmobile unlocked iphone 6plus come fully unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christian 5G, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

If I order iphone 6+ unlocked on tmobile (full price) will it come unlocked to get the phone and switch to cricket wireless?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you order it on t-mobile it will be locked. If you order it on apple, then it should be unlocked.

3. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Thanks, appreciate it.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

As of August 1st, any US carrier MUST unlock your phone if you either buy it outright or you have finished paying it off. It is the law.
    It may come to you locked in the mail, but you can have it unlocked immediately and I know for a fact T-Mobile unlocks it upon request if paid in full up front. I've done it.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's not exactly what the law says. Basically, DMCA says its illegal to circumvent copy protection mechanisms. There was an exception for cellphone unlocking but that expired so unlocking without the carrier's consent (e.g. 3rd party unlocks) became punishable by jail time. The new law just makes it so you're free to unlock your fully paid for phone through other means if your carrier doesn't offer an official unlock.

I think a law requiring carriers to unlock phones that are fully paid for is currently being drafted but it hasn't been passed yet and obviously isn't in effect.

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Direct from the FCC:
    Additionally, I bought a Lumia 925 direct from T-Mobile (paid in full) and I requested and got the phone unlocked the day I got it.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's a voluntary unlocking agreement and the full requirements don't even take effect until February 11, 2015. Both AT&T and T-Mobile already had unlock policies in place prior to the agreement taking effect. However, this is not a law. It's just something the select carriers are voluntary agreeing to.