Does Touch function as an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wolfpup, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I think I sort of broke my 5.5g iPod...dropped it in the sink last night while it was filled with water, and now it's only intermittently seeing my computer.

Soooo I may need a new MP3 player. I'm not sure how well the Touch would actually suit me as I use hardware controls CONSTANTLY on my regular one, and having to look at the screen to adjust volume, fast forward, etc., sounds incredibly annoying...but I'm still intrigued by the idea that maybe one day it could replace my Palm too (although it's not there yet).

Anyway I also for the time being need an external storage device...only I guess initially the Touch/iPhone didn't work as an external drive. Has that been changed? Does it show up like the "regular" iPod models do now? (Though I read that it does now...?)

If not, I should probably just go with an 8GB Nano.

Oh, and can you shut off Wifi on the Touch permanently, so it never powers on? I've heard it can keep receiving email even when it's "off" (ie in standby), but I don't the wifi on EVER-even when the unit is "on" unless I specifically enable it.

Actually I'd love using an iPhone as a PDA/MP3 player-seems like it would suit me a lot better than the Touch, but I guess you can't buy them unless you're going to use the phone part. :(

2. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Forgot to ask-would a model ordered from Apple.com already have the 2.0 firmware on it? I figure I'd have to factor that in to the purchase price if I got it from some other store.

3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it would include the 2.0 for free. It should--I would wait at least until Tuesday (ordering from apple on the weekend is always risky), but I imagine it would include the update or some way of getting it for free.

I don't think it functions as an external HD without jailbreaking it to do so (unsure about that feasibility as well)

4. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, thanks! Sounds like I'm probably safer just going with a Nano (it'll probably suit me better anyway since I like hardware controls...it's just the Touch is more "fun" since it's new :) )

5. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Okay,

1: Yes, you need to look at the screen, no physical controls
    2: No, can't use as a HD, not even with 2.0. Only via Jailbreak can you install "AFPd" or "OpenSSH" to access your HD via WiFi.
    3: Yes, if you really need to have physical controls + usable as an external HD, then iPod Nano would be the go for you, although remember that the max size for a Nano is 8GB, also they are due for a refresh too.
    4: Yes, you can shut of WiFi to the Touch, you just got 'settings' - 'WiFi' - change to 'Off' that will prevent it using any WiFi related things unless you turn it back on & connect to a network.
    5: The hackers are already working to unlock the iPhone, plus if you don't stick a SIM in/don't sign up to a carrier you don't have to use the phone part.
    6: The iPod Touch is an iPhone, just without the phone, SMS, camera & GPS part (The Touch can still locate you using WiFi points but not like GPS can)

Yes, I think a Nano would be best for you. I'm not saying the Touch is bad, just not practical for your purpose. I love my Touch, can't do without it, in fact I want an iPhone 3G now!

Hope this helps you

SuperMacMan

6. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

One more thing...

As for 2.0 firmware shipping with the Touch, I would wait a week or two before ordering from the online store, make sure that they do have 2.0 loaded onto them.

SuperMacMan

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks guys!

I soooo wish Apple wasn't locked to AT&T and had a CDMA version of the iPhone :D