Does Touching the "Spot" Affect Both 3G and Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SiskoKid, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I can't duplicate the issue on either network, but I have only heard about this affecting 3G signal. Does it affect Edge as well? If not, why not?

2. Billy Mays macrumors member

I would assume so because I can get it to go to 'no service' and it won't connect to any network unless I let go. The first connection it makes is with EDGE, though.

3. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I didn't understand you. Are you saying if you turn off 3G and are on Edge only, the issue still happens? I've tried it on both 3G and Edge, and I can't replicate the issue at home or at work.

I understand the issue affects some people, but I've only heard it affecting the 3G signal. I'm curious if it affects people if they're on Edge. I mean if it's a hardware issue with the antenna then I guess it would have to, but I just wanna make sure.

if it doesn't affect the Edge signal, however, any people who know about this stuff care to chime in on why?

4. Billy Mays macrumors member

I'm saying with 3G on it will drop to 'no service' until I let go of the spot. Once I let go, it will connect to EDGE then moments later, 3G. If EDGE wasn't effected by the antenna issue, it'd still be connected while my finger is applied but that isn't the case. I have the spot covered with electrical tape so I can't test it right now.

5. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not exactly true. I've had bad 3G signals regardless of the iPhone 4 and it says no service and I've manually switched to Edge and the bars pop back on.

The signal switch on many phones isn't always the smoothest. I'd like someone who has the issue to test it on Edge.

Thanks for your input though :D Anyone else?

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Corrected.

7. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Yeah dude, it happens to me on both 3G and EDGE.