Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
From the start, my IpT3 into the IpT5 were mostly for gaming offline (as many areas I went to didn't have wifi). My main reasons to go online via that were:
1) access periodic online features, like the "level of the day"from freemium games, or "log in to get your daily reward" from even premium titles
2) Download and update apps, download IAP
3) play a turn based, online card game multiplayer vs. old buddies

For #1, I quit my last freemium game a few months back (ugh... the repetitiveness and grinding without any new content!). I haven't touched the "log in daily" features in a long time (and TBH, I wasn't even sure what some of them were, even though I kept getting them :confused: )

For #2, I will continue to do this, but being I left the device on ios7, I may not be able to do this much given some games will require ios8 or higher. I'd rather go with the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" approach here, although if that day comes, I'll make a judgment call on whether I'd like to access new features at the risk of losing progress due to some upgrade "snafu", or rendering older games unplayable. Also, it's woefully short on storage that I'd prefer to download new stuff to the roomy, 128 GB Ipad Air.

For #3, that game is now played on my Ipad Air. Plus it doesn't help that the company hasn't had a fix for my IpT5:mad:

I don't really have any reason to go online on my IpT5. For internet, if I'm at home, I either use my desktop or Chromebook. If I'm on the road, I have an LG G4. Battery life is still important to me since the IpT battery can't be replaced, and I still have some games that I started and would like to finish up.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To answer your initial question for your thread titled, Wi-Fi is used based off searching for a signal. It's communicating with your router. By disabling Wi-Fi, then you're cutting off the communication sending from Wi-Fi to your device. I don't know how much battery life you'll be conserving, depending on the signal strength where your location is, but ultimately you would be saving for conserving battery life marginally.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I suggest turning it off when you are away from your main access points, if you're on low battery. Other than that I wouldn't worry.

drivenbymadness

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
Battery life is still important to me since the IpT battery can't be replaced

IpT battery can't be replaced? Then what am i going to do if i still got service on my IpT6 and the battery begins to turn bad? I think i read somewhere back when i had my IpT5 that the battery could be replaced for a fee somewhere on apples site. Am i mistaken?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
IpT battery can't be replaced? Then what am i going to do if i still got service on my IpT6 and the battery begins to turn bad? I think i read somewhere back when i had my IpT5 that the battery could be replaced for a fee somewhere on apples site. Am i mistaken?
I read as a cost saving measure, the battery is glued in. Saying they don't replace it may not be absolute, but I hear that many service places don't want to bother with replacing it. IIRC, if you take to an Apple store, they probably won't bother to do it. Even if you find somebody who is willing to do it, it may cost something while still affordable, may be impractical, like $100 or something. At such a price, you may as well pitch in double and get a new device that now only comes with a new battery, but improved specs all around.

Reactions: Regbial
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.