Does Un-jailbreaking remove root partition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazy$hark, May 29, 2011.

1. crazy$hark macrumors regular

crazy$hark

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does un-jailbreaking (restoring as new phone then from backup) remove root partition?

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It reinstalls the OS to factory settings. It doesn't delete anything to do with the root level of the device (no root partition, only a root directory). It will however stop you from accessing that directory to make changes of any kind.

3. crazy$hark thread starter macrumors regular

crazy$hark

so........ does it keep the root partition? For example if i jailbreak my phone again will now the root partition be double the size and i will only have access to half? (sorry, im a noob at this stuff)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No. The root partition is apart of iOS itself so it'll still be there. However, jailbreaking is what gives you access to it (otherwise you'll only see the Media folder).

5. crazy$hark thread starter macrumors regular

crazy$hark

So, for example is i jailbroke my iphone for a root partition of, lets say 1gb. Then i un-jailbreak and jailbreak it again for a size of 1gb. Will i now have 2gb of root partition or will it use the root partition from my first jb or will it have a root partition of 2gb but only give me access to 1gb? :p

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

When you restore it wipes/formats the entire phone, partitions and all, and starts over. No doubling.

7. crazy$hark thread starter macrumors regular

crazy$hark

so basically the answer to my first question is that un-jailbreaking removes the root partition?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Now that I understand what you're asking, yes, the old root partition gets removed and a new one is added.

9. crazy$hark thread starter macrumors regular

crazy$hark

:) thanks